We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui Prince Resort - close to civilization?

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bettendorf, IA
1 post
Save Topic
Maui Prince Resort - close to civilization?

My fiancee and I are planning a trip to Maui for our wedding/honeymoon and are looking into the Maui Prince Resort as our hotel. We seem to be getting conflicting reports about how close this hotel is to the Wailea area. Can anyone provide some insight? Thanks!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui Prince Resort - close to civilization?

It's about 10 minutes or less down the road from Wailea.

Den

Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui Prince Resort - close to civilization?

Den is correct. It is VERY close. Probably even less than 10 minutes. Enjoy your trip!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,488 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui Prince Resort - close to civilization?

There really is no "town" or center that is Wailea. It's a string of deluxe hotels and condos, stretching south from S. Kiehi to Makena along a mostly-four lane, lushly landscaped boulevard -- hotels on the oceanfront (makai) and golf courses makua (towards the mountain). The Shops of Wailea is within this area and has several restaurants and boutiques. There are also a couple of free-standing restaurants like Seawatch and Mulligan's on the Blue. It's mostly very quiet.

People drive north into Kihei for more inexpensive restaurants -- and groceries. Nothing is FAR away, but the Prince can seem "relatively" far -- just a bit beyond the other resort hotels.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
23 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui Prince Resort - close to civilization?

It is not that it is necessarily far, but considering the size of Wailea it appears far. Whereas the other resorts are effectively lined up next to each other (ie. Fairmont, Four Seasons, Grand Wailea, Mariott, etc.), the Prince is a moderate drive to get to. Whereas you can walk to each of these other hotels to have lunch or dinner, with the Prince you will have to drive to dine at any other hotel's restaurant. I would suggest the Mariott over the Prince all things being considered, if not for anything but the location. I do note, however, that the Prince has a very nice beach which the Mariott lacks. However, I am not a fan of the Prince generally as it is run down. Ultimately, I would not recommend the Prince unless you score a really cheap room rate.

Purdue
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui Prince Resort - close to civilization?

I am on island right now and just drove by the Prince today, BGOOCHY. The location is lovely, but very much the last stop on the south island. I wouldn't worry about being close to town. In general, Wailea is beautiful, but as others have posted, there is no real town Center. Even Kihei, which has dozens of shops and stores, does not really have a town Center that is a destination. Lahaina has a downtown. It's about 45 minutes from Wailea.

In Wailea the Grand Wailea is the crown jewel. It is absolutely gorgeous. I've travelled pretty extensively and have never seen anything quite as lovely.

You can't go wrong in Wailea, though. It really is gorgeous.

washington state
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui Prince Resort - close to civilization?

It is located on a fabulous beach for swimming and snorkeling too!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui Prince Resort - close to civilization?

I agree with most of the above.

To get to Wailea for food, it is about 10 minutes. To get to Kihei, about 10-15 minutes more.

The place has seen better days. It looks like it was built in the 1970s and hasn't been renovated since.

The upside is that the beach is nice, and it is a very short drive to Big Beach (10 minutes) and La Perousse Bay (15 minutes).

As others said, I would look at the lower priced properties that are actually on Wailea first.

Lake Tahoe
Level Contributor
301 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui Prince Resort - close to civilization?

Civilization? The Maui Prince pretty much defines civilization. Other than Hana, everything in Maui is close by.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui Prince Resort - close to civilization?

Napolean:

The issue really is with walking distance.

For the Maui Prince, I don't think anything is within walking distance. When I go to St. Bart, I like the fact that nothing is within walking distance (other than the beach itself) but in Maui I prefer to be able to walk to at least some places.

That may or not be an issue for Bgoochy, but is something the person should know.

Apache Junction...
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui Prince Resort - close to civilization?

The Maui Prince is very close to Wailea - not within walking distance, but close by car (maybe 2 miles?). We have stayed there 12+ times over the years and obviously love it. It's quieter, fewer children, smaller, and very friendly. Great restaurants too. Yes, the decor is dated.

Good luck with making your decision. We love the whole Wailea/Makena area!