We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any on street parking near grand wailea?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
any on street parking near grand wailea?

hi there,

it is clear from previous posts that there is no avoiding the valet parking at the GW.

as Australians we find the valet parking thing very strange. as well as tipping of course. you have to grow up with these things I think.

anyway, is there anywhere reasonably nearby where we can just park the rental car and walk to and from the hotel? is it safe to leave the car around (no point escaping valet parking if car is damaged by someone else!)

thanks,

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

>>I am not sure I dare ask what loonie and twoonie is!! <<

The Canadian 1 and 2 dollar coins respectively. THe loonie is called that because there is a loon (the bird) on it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

I forgot to ask earlier...is the tap water not drinkable? is that why they give you the water bottles? k

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,232 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

The water is drinkable they leave the water bottles in the car for you in case you get thirsty during your travels (but not too thirsty because they are small bottles). I believe they mentioned they will put towels in the car if you are heading to a beach and they will take the used towels when you return and I've heard they will put a blanket in your car if you pick it up in the middle of the night with the assumption you are going to Haleakala for sunrise.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,875 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

If you are an avid reader, you may very well want to pack an extra suitcase for books! They are half the price you pay at home.

Also, remember that the price you see on anything, does not include the tax.

The drinking water is fine in Hawaii. We don't buy bottled water all, and prefer to refill our personal water bottle. There are those that don't like the tap water though. It's a personal choice. There are some nicely decorated refillable water bottles in the ABC stores, Long's, and Whaler's. Great designs.

Also, know that you won't get plastic bags at the grocery stores. They will have paper bags, if you don't want to buy some cloth ones. Walmart will not give you a bag, period.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

The quality of water from the tap varies.

It varies in different areas and after any rain. Certainly would not give it to a baby and we do not drink from the tap unless there is a filter system. Just ask if there is a filter in place.

In most areas it is not legal to park on a public street overnight. The law is rarely enforced.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

There is no room to park on the street in front of the GW. The only side streets are the ones leading to the two beaches. no room to park there and overnight parking is not allowed at the beach parking areas either. Also you will be ticketed if you leave your car overnight at the Shops of Wailea.

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
340 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

As for drinks the Kula Café located in GW sell an Eco-Friendly Souvenir Cup for $18. Refills of iced tea, iced or hot drip coffee or soda are just $1. With the 4 of you this cup will more than pay for itself. Also GW has fresh water stations located around the pool area and along the beach.

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

that Pineapple souvenir cup also doubles as a piggy bank. u can save up for your future cocktails.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,994 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

A resort fee AND a parking fee ARE nickel & diming. Adding $55 to an already expensive resort is absurd. Why am I staying at a very expensive resort hotel and then you charge me extra for the actual resort facilities? And It is one thing for hotels in major cities to charge outrageous fees for parking, but in a resort that had all the land they wanted to build on, it is an added insult. Then if you want to put your child in the kids program it is $75 for a half day and $125 for a full day.

I avoid the GW when possible, but it isn't always my call alone so I grit my teeth and go along.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: any on street parking near grand wailea?

scott i sort of agree about the resort and parking fees but this is not unique to the GW. That is why i take issue with people singling it out as nickle and diming. There are few resorts in Maui that don't charge the same. Just like the airlines, hotels have figured out they can make lots of extra with these crazy fees. My personal opinion is the resort fee ought to be included in the price of the hotel, since you have no option. But for the parking -- I am not sure "had all the land they wanted to build on" is actually true, and even so there would likely be more revenue with hotel rooms sitting on top of that parking, so I am not totally against it. For kids club -- why not have it optional? If you don't have a kid, you certainly don't want to pay for it. And again, this is not unique to the GW.