We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
trip report

Ferraro's Restaurant

by Bill Peeler

During a winter escape from cold, wet British Columbia to Maui, my girlfriend didn't feel well, right before we were scheduled to go for dinner in Wailea.

Decisions... Decisions. Do I stay by her side and commiserate? Or do I abandon her and dine alone?

Call me crass, but I was not about to cancel a gourmet meal at Ferraro's Italian Restaurant in the Four Seasons Resort. I offered my condolences and left.

I drove through Wailea.

Dappled sunlight filtered through the trees.

Elegant resorts spiked the coastline.

I passed lovingly manicured lawns.

Here and there an occasional glimpse of the salty Pacific.

A white egret fluttered by.

The resort itself could easily win an award for décor with its decorative fountains, well-kept lawns, and everywhere, curtained, poolside cabanas.

Lovers lounged on chaises, chatting and drinking.

On the way through to the restaurant, I stopped to knock off a few jazz tunes on the grand piano.

I wound my way down to the restaurant.

I sat at the bar and ordered a fruit and rum drink with cream in it. Recommended by the barkeep.

I took in the fashion show, an upscale crowd in mostly casual dress. And, of course, the occasional evening gown.

The lady next to me had on a watch that looked like it could have paid for 10 round trips, what I paid to fly into Maui.

I pulled the sleeve down over my cheap Walmart watch.

A bouquet of umbrellas shielded diners from a fleeting mist.

A floral-scented breeze teased.

I enjoyed watching several kids below, romping in the surf.

A photographer took pictures of a wedding party. Bridesmaids in green dresses dodged incoming waves.

The lights of pleasure yachts shone offshore.

French trained executive chef Roger Stittler studied immersion-style cooking in his mother's kitchen back in Switzerland. After that, he served in 5-star restaurants around the world. He currently oversees 55 chefs at the Four Seasons.

He puts a sophisticated gloss on island food.

The roasted striped bass that arrived sent up delicate aromas. I leaned in to inhale the fragrant steam.

The filet was fall-off-your-fork tender.

Accompanying were haiku cherry tomatoes, bathed in a velvety sauce, subtly smoky and sweet shaved Maui onions, and roasted potatoes.

The food deserved a Byronic ode.

It wasn't on the menu, but I finished with a scoop of creamy French vanilla ice cream.

By the time I finished dinner, stars were visible in an indigo sky. Silhouettes of palm trees waved in a gentle breeze.

Looking around, I realized several things:

This would be a perfect place to propose.

Gastronomes will delight in dining here.

And if this restaurant doesn't have a Michelin Star, it should have.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
246 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: trip report

I was with the love of my life for 31 years before she passed away in 2003 from cancer. I am not actively hunting for a girlfriend. If it happens, it happens. But I have to admit, rolling over in bed to a mouth full of pillow is not the answer. (smile)

12. Re: trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 26, 2015