We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikiki 1st or Maui 1st

14 posts
Save Topic
Waikiki 1st or Maui 1st

My husband & I are celebrating our 30 year anniversary and are planning a 10 day trip to Hawaii in May 2014. The travel agent suggests flying Sydney to Honolulu then to Maui for 4 nights then back to Waikiki for 6 nights. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what order we should do it in. It seems to me that you'd need to relax in Maui after all the shopping in Waikiki. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

14 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Waikiki 1st or Maui 1st

Ha ha ha! Because us Ozzies get ripped off. So many bargains in US!

14 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Waikiki 1st or Maui 1st

Ha ha ha! Yeah we get ripped off here.

14 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Waikiki 1st or Maui 1st

Thank you for your reply. Yeah it makes sense to me now.

14 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Waikiki 1st or Maui 1st

Thank you Sandy for your reply.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,793 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Waikiki 1st or Maui 1st

Maui first & Oahu last. Mostly because of shopping.

Otherwise, you would have to take everything you bought on Oahu to Maui & then back to Oahu for the return flight to Australia.

And you would probably be charged extra luggage fees for both interisland flights.

14 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Waikiki 1st or Maui 1st

Thank you for your reply Dusty.

B.C.
Level Contributor
142 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Waikiki 1st or Maui 1st

I didn't read all the other responses but thought I would give you my 2 cents. It was a long time ago that we went to Maui first then Oahu. Our accommodation in Maui was lovely - a beautiful new condo. Our accommodation in Oahu was an older, seedy hotel. I think the prices were comparable. The nice hotels on Oahu were out of our price range. The downgrade was so disappointing.. Maui is paradise and Waikiki is just a big city, in my opinion.

28. Re: Waikiki 1st or Maui 1st

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 03, 2015