We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wailea in March: Any advice welcome!

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wailea in March: Any advice welcome!

My girlfriends and I are visiting Maui March 14th-21st to celebrate a 50th birthday for one of the girls. There are 4 of us. We are just now kicking the research and planning into high gear and have some initial thoughts I'm hoping to get some feedback on from you guys to see if we're on the right track. We're thinking of staying at The Palms of Wailea since we want to be able to walk to a beach where there is sand and we can snorkel, walk and see a turtle or two hopefully. Our budget is in the 350 to 375 per night range and that development seemed to fit nicely coming in under budget. We need 2BR/2BA with at least 3 separate beds and a sleeper sofa since there are 4 of us and none of us want to share a bed. Some of the other things we're interested in doing are catching a luau, taking the road to Hana, and hopping up to Lahaina to shop and see the harbor. We will have a rental car (already reserved thanks to the good advice here) so we can explore all we want. My question for y'all is how does this sound so far? Is it too much? And what other things should we consider doing? Thanks so much for reading. :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wailea in March: Any advice welcome!

Welcome to Trip Adivosr! If you have the car reserved already, thanks to this forum, I hope you know to keep checking periodically to see if the rate drops! Usually a couple of weeks before departure, they will decrease in price, but there is no rule to this. And no one has been able to figure out how it works either! All we know is to KEEP CHECKING!!!!

There are many many options on Maui for a condo or a hotel where you can "walk to a beach where there is sand and we can snorkel, walk and see a turtle or two".

The one problem I see with the 2 bedrooms is the configuration of the beds. Most, but not all, will have a king and a queen, or two queens. It is sometimes a search to find the second bedroom with two twins. We found one at Ka'anapali Shores, up in West Maui. We also had a loft, with another queen bed up there. But the loft was warm, and we were freezing on the main level, and not allowed to touch the AC.

Be aware that March is spring break time, and it is filling up, so if you see a place that is within your budget, you may want to grab it.

Also, the whales will be around, so do make sure you get out on the water! Book a whale watching tour, or even a sunset cruise. You will see whales!

If you end up staying in South Maui, you will want to book a luau somewhere south to avoid the long drive home. The Old Lahaina Luau and the Feast at Lele are the most popular on Maui, but they are both in West Maui.

Haleakala is another option for a day trip, but with just one week, you need to pick and choose. You won't be able to see everything, and that is okay.... just plan the next trip while at the departure lounge at the airport, often the saddest place in the U. S.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wailea in March: Any advice welcome!

Thank you so much! I did read to keep checking the rental prices, so a note has been made to do that. I have no idea why I typed March, we are going in May. Blonde moment I suppose. lol. Thanks again for the info, I appreciate it! :)

Edited: 7:43 pm, November 19, 2013
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wailea in March: Any advice welcome!

May... no whales, but the jacaranda trees are in bloom! Cheaper rates for condos as it is slower. And there is Lei Day, the Maui Onion Festival, and so much more!

Have fun!

Muskego, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
260 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wailea in March: Any advice welcome!

We stayed at the Palms of Wailea in Feb 2012. One bedroom had twin beds and is smaller and the other is a master suite with a king bed most likely. The twin bed room has shutters separating it from the living room. I wished it was an actual wall. But loved the fact you could pass drinks and food out to the lanai from the kitchen window. We spent a lot of time on the lanai just watching the ocean. You could walk to the beach if you wanted to. Don't forget to book a meal at Monkeypods for lunch or dinner. Lively place. Kihei is very close for shopping. Head to Lahaina for shopping and stopping for lunch/drink at Cheeseburger right on the ocean, great view. Whale watching tour is fun. Do the Maui Swap Meet if you are there on a Saturday. Kula Lavender Farm, Kula Lodge for pizza. Fish market for lunch in Paia. Bring dramamine for Hana trip. Have fun, sounds like a great trip.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
978 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wailea in March: Any advice welcome!

If you stay at the Palms of Wailea you'll be able to walk to the Keawakapu Beach, one of the nicest in Hawaii. It's good for swimming, paddle boarding, and snorkeling on calm days, and boogie boarding on days when the swells are up. I saw a turtle around the rocks on the south end of the beach the first time we stayed in Wailea, but couldn't find him last year. I did find plenty of colorful fish. For breakfast try the Cinnamon Roll Fair just up the street in Kihei. It's the place with the line out the front door below the Denny's on the 2nd floor.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wailea in March: Any advice welcome!

May is a perfect time to visit Maui. Do an upcountry trip and check out those jacarandas, so gorgrous!! We lived in Kihei and had no problem driving up,to Lahaina or Kaanapali for a luau, just be careful with the alcohol and driving.

Take a drive south to Maluaka Beach for snorkeling, visit Big Beach and then drive a bit further to LaPerouse to see the last lava flow on Maui.

Next to water
Level Contributor
298 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wailea in March: Any advice welcome!

May is a great time of year. For a luau, look at the one at the Grand Wailea since it's close. But I don't think driving to West Maui is out of the question unless you all are heavy partyers. Hit breakfast at Kihei Caffe.

I would skip Lahaina and take the car up to Paia..walkaround there and eat some fish tacos. Watch the windsurfers at Hookipa beach. Then drive to Makawao. Fun shorter excursions with interesting shopping.

In Wailea go to the Four Seasons and have lunch at Ferraros...nice dining where you can see the water (ask if you can get a table right down in front). The food there is fresh and yummy and you can watch the beach. Then take a walk on the beachwalk right there in front of the hotels etc....it's just a long path that runs along the water that is a little further down from you condo. The walk is Beautiful! Calm and right along the ocean.

Road to Hana is fun if you like nature and at least some light hiking. It's not particularly exciting if you don't have it planned out though a bit so you can stop at the right places and see the right things. It's a long day to just be wandering around IMO. Do some heavy research on this before you plan it to make sure it's how you want to spend your day.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wailea in March: Any advice welcome!

Take a look at "Hale Hui Kai" -- particularly one of the beachfront units. Only 32 units, but directly fronts Keawakapu beach next to much larger but also nice Kihei Surfside. Google map: http://goo.gl/maps/RIZv7

VRBO listing(s) link (sorted by highest # BR's): http://tinyurl.com/ml6ubuc

Alo)(a, NKO

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wailea in March: Any advice welcome!

Mana Kai is the big building by Hale Hui Kai. The Surfside is the curvy one, just one more over, fronting the green space.

NKO has given you a great location. It's a beautiful beach, nice and long, and very few resorts along the beachfront. You can rent SUPs and kayaks at the Mana Kai too. And of course, 5 Palms is also there, a great place for happy hour!!!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Wailea in March: Any advice welcome!

The Palms is newer, with larger units, and is less expensive than most of the condo complexes on the ocean side of the road. Also look at Maui Kamaole in S. Kihie for newer/larger/less money -- but still walk-to beaches. Anything at Hale Pau Hana?