We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Wailea vs Fairmont Kea Lani

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Wailea vs Fairmont Kea Lani

My husband and I will be in Maui from April 4-8. We are booked at the Marriott Wailea. We got the AAA rate of $297 but there is a resort fee of $30 and an onsite parking fee of $25 which will bring up our nightly rate to $352.

If we were to book the Fairmont Kea Lani we could get a rate of $519 with no resort fee but a $15 parking fee which will bring our nightly rate to $534.

Is it worth the extra $182 per night to go with the Fairmont? We are in our early 30s and have no kids. The more peaceful, quiet and "adult oriented" the resort, the better. We loved the Four Seasons but the cheapest rate they have for our dates is $3,000 so that is out of the question. Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Wailea vs Fairmont Kea Lani

Only you can answer this one. The Fairmont is a much nicer high end resort and the Marriott just a standard Hawaii hotel, nothing fancy. If you can afford it I would go with Kea Lani.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Wailea vs Fairmont Kea Lani

The kea lani is much nicer - but I'm a cheapskate and couldn't live with $500+ per night.

The Marriott was fine for us (just checked out yesterday). We had a really nice ocean front room and couldn't have been happier with the distance to the water..crazy close.

Btw - the resort fee at the marriott includes self parking, just not valet.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,807 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Wailea vs Fairmont Kea Lani

The Marriott has a very peaceful adults-only infinity pool. Of course the Kea Lani is nicer...all suites, etc. But the Marriott is closer to the water (not a beach, but the ocean, sort of a rocky part between 2 beaches which I loved watching the waves crash)...the Kea Lani as I recall is a walk down to their beach, although the beach is right in front of it. I've stayed at both hotels, and for that big a difference in price the Marriott was just fine.

And as far as parking at the Marriott - the self-parking garage is very close to the valet area - some hotels you have a walk to get to self park but not there. You are also closer to the Shops at Wailea at the Marriott.

Level Contributor
125 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Wailea vs Fairmont Kea Lani

The Marriott seems pretty quiet compared to Kea Lani whenever we go and Marriott resorts have a rewards program. Shops at Wailea is a nice walk for strolling, eating out and of course high-end shopping! Both have beach access and great views. For the better deal though how about the Marriott!?

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Wailea vs Fairmont Kea Lani

We all have our preferences (& respective issues with certain properties..) - here's a link to a recent short thread, which includes my feelings on your question/subject:

tripadvisor.com/…45774309

Alo)(a, NKO

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,466 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott Wailea vs Fairmont Kea Lani

Which 'apples' are we comparing here? All the Fairmont rooms are large 'suites', but with different views, whereas the Marriott rooms differ primarily only in the view. What room have you booked at the Marriott Wailea? (I might spend a little more at the Marriott to get a room almost IN the ocean -- but maybe you value a suite with little view more highly.)

How much time will you be AT your hotel? Are you also staying elsewhere in Hawaii on this trip? Have you visited Maui before?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
345 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott Wailea vs Fairmont Kea Lani

ChiSue,

I booked the "resort view" at the Marriott and we will be staying for 4 nights. The hotel is now fully booked for my stay so I can't book a different room. I have stayed in Maui before- it was our honeymoon almost 3 years ago and we stayed at the Four Seasons Wailea and loved it. At the time we got a rate of $425 but now, the cheapest room at the Four Seasons is $3k (and this has been the case since we booked our flight too).

And yes, we are staying in the Big Island for 6 nights. We will stay at Lotus Garden Suites in Vocano Village for 1 night and then at the Fairmont Orchid for 5 nights.

8. Re: Marriott Wailea vs Fairmont Kea Lani

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 15, 2014