We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad is the Makena cloud?

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
273 posts
103 reviews
How bad is the Makena cloud?

I have read about the Makena cloud that sometimes forms on most afternoons over the Makena State Beach area. One recent reviewer of a Makena hotel said her family drove to a different beach each afternoon to avoid it, but most reviewers never mention it. Most guidebooks don't mention it either, but Fodor's does.

I was curious how often the Makena cloud forms and when does it normally start and end (blow away?)?

Also, how far north does the cloud cover extend? Is it enough of an annoyance to choose a hotel outside of its reach -- like in Wailea rather than Makena?

Thanks.

Iowa
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: How bad is the Makena cloud?

Hmm, I'd like to hear more about this too. Is it more common at certain times of year?

We're booked in January at Makena Beach and Golf Resort. Last year we visited Maluaka Beach there a couple of times. We snorkled in the morning and loved it. Next time we stopped by it was afternoon and it was cloudy and the water was a bit rougher. We didn't snorkle, but walked the beach and played in the surf and it was still beautiful.

We usually do beach activities in the morning, then go and explore in the afternoons. We expect the wind and maybe the clouds to pick up in the afternoon.

At the MBGR a big breakfast buffet comes with the room package and they serve until 11:00. We plan to get up early, have the Starbucks coffee they provide in the room and some farmers market fruit, then snorkle until we are ready for a big brunch. Then we'll eat our fill and go off to explore Maui. We'll follow up with happy hour or early dinner.

So... I'd like to know more about this "Makena cloud" but it won't stop us from enjoying our stay.

Lion's Head, Canada
Level Contributor
432 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: How bad is the Makena cloud?

First time I heard of it.... and I stayed at the Makena resort for a total of 14 nights, on 2 separate trips.

Weather was GREAT!

Iowa
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: How bad is the Makena cloud?

Kanunu, thanks! What time of year were you there?

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
4. Re: How bad is the Makena cloud?

Stayed at Makena Resort many times, multiple different years, all different seasons and never heard of such a thing.

Calgary, Ab
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: How bad is the Makena cloud?

So after a bit of a Google, I guess that big cloud over Haleakala is sometimes called the Makena cloud if it reaches out far enough from the upper slopes. Who knew? I've never heard it called that in these forums while I've been here. Most areas of the island get a little choppy in the afternoon, often with some cloud cover. I remember driving from West Maui TO Makena to get out of the rain one day. I'm surprised by that one reviewer. Recent reviews of the Makena Resort have been glowing.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
9,169 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: How bad is the Makena cloud?

It's can form above the "Dumps" , the Ahihi-Kinau snorkeling area. At times it there at 9 am other times not until nearer noon, sometimes not at all. I've always called it that because that's what it looks like a finger of cloud formed up on the slopes of Haleakala..

We have enjoyed many beautiful sunny mornings snorkeling in front of the Makena Resort.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
7. Re: How bad is the Makena cloud?

It is true. As the day goes on the earth warms up and clouds form at the summit of Haleakala and the trade winds push the clouds out over the beaches out towards Kahoʻolawe. The cloud layer is at about the altitude of the summit, maybe 11000 ft. It usually forms in the early afternoon.

We have been to Maui at least 50 times and have seen it quite often. It is unpredictable and if there is enough moisture in the atmosphere you can get that misty feeling to a shower or just like a nice umbrella shielding you from the sun. Some days it is a welcome relief from the sun.

It appears to be rather narrow and you can drive up to the northern part of Wailea or Kihei and be clear of it.

We will be on Maui in 2 weeks staying at Polo Beach which will be under its path and don't think much about it. It has just become part of the routine like the trade winds arriving about 1 pm everyday

seattle
Level Contributor
165 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: How bad is the Makena cloud?

We exerienced it last year. It just hung over the beach, and we could see blue sky all around us everywhere else. We finally left and found a beach with sun. One of the many beautiful things about Maui!

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
273 posts
103 reviews
9. Re: How bad is the Makena cloud?

I appreciate so many responses so quickly. It sounds like the Makena cloud is real.

I'll admit I'm still undecided whether the cloud is enough of a factor to get me to book a hotel near Wailea rather than at the Makena Beach Resort.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
10. Re: How bad is the Makena cloud?

Have definitely seen it more often than not. Only thing I'd add is that it's often wider than it's been described. It can extend from Ahihi Kinau through Wailea.

Edited: 7:41 am, October 12, 2012