We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report # 2...snorkeling and sailing

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report # 2...snorkeling and sailing

Up early and fixed breakfast at Napili Bay.....we were on the road fairly early to head to south maui to find some new snorkeling areas ( to us ). Headed to Wailea.

It was a bit of drive along the coast, and absolutely loved the west maui coastal road and the really nice beach parks, with bbq's, and small pavillions.

They are very inviting and popular and pretty much full of cars and surfers trucks beginning early in the day. Wow ! Grand views, cozy shade, sunshine, and fabulous. Unfortunately, we did not stop, but will definietly make it a priority on our next visit.

Diving all the way down to wailea we went to three different snorkeling beaches, and they were very nice, but there was a swell rolling in, and entry looked difficult, and figured the bottom stirred up with waves.

We kept searching and found a small cove area. A trail lead behind a small cemetary , and we walked in to check it out. Very rocky entries, but we waited a bit.

SCUBA divers, arrived across the small cove. there was a narrow trail along a small cliff of rocks that lead to a bit easier entry on rock shelfs.

The water was clear, the ocean not as aggitated. Some fisherman were up high on the bluffs off to our left, so we gave them plenty of room as we snorkeled. Marine life was in the OK to good department. Exiting, there was a bit of a surge, and happy that I wore my dive gloves, as I had to hang onto the rock shelf to keep from being swept away from the exit. The surge was intermittant so no big deal. Plenty of calm to safely climb up the ledges.

Divers went in before and after us, and our entry was excellent and easy.....exiting was a little slower, as we had to pull our okolies up onto the rock shelf, and then stand up.

We drove back home, and stopped at the Napili Bay market for some turkey wraps for a small lunch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REAL SAILING VESSEL :

SCOTCH MIST: Parking on a side street, no time limit..no tickee, we arrived at 4:30 pm as requested for our Sunset Sail tha departed at 5pm..

I really wanted to get in some sailing and Scotch Mist, is a fine Santa Cruz 50 monohull, and can keep up and pass most anything sailing out there on the ocean.

Both Erica and I got a bit of helm time, and Scotch mist trimmed up nicely but was a bit tender on the steering. Huge racing wheel and responded quickly to inputs. Full main, and 100% jib kept the heel down and the crew and passengers comfortable.

Kerstain and Michelle took great care of everyone and the champagne , beer, wine, and chocolate covered macadamia nuts were plentiful to your personal liking. They also had soda pop and water. More on these remarkable and fine lady sailors in a bit.

MIke ( Capt. Turk ) long last name of Turka-somthing or other, was an excellent and fun and very interesting and highly experienced world sailor and boat builder.

Everyone got a chance at the helm, but Erica and I seemed to be the only other passengers who knew how to sail, so our time at the wheel was more lengthy. The others were for photo shots for anyone who wished to have their picture taken.

We had about 12 to 15 kts of wind, and Scotch Mist was moving along rather nicely with a slight heel. Most of the passengers snugged into the large cockpit, while others went up to the bow, or sat up on the coach roof.

Kerstain came by and offered me a beer and we started talking. She is now a boat owner, and she and her boyfriend sailed thier 36 foot sailing vessel from Oregon down to southern californa, and the across the pond to kauai.

It felt soooooo great to be out on the ocean, SAILING, and being around others who also enjoyed the sound of NO MOTOR. The engine was used for departing and returning to the slip and docking.

We met a very neat couple who were on their FIFTH sailing cruise with Scotch Mist.....spent a lot of time trading sea stories with them.

The sun dipped and sizzled into the western ocean, and then we had a little race with a very fast large sailing cat. The crew rolled out the jib to 150%, and we overtook the other vessel in fairly short order.

Back at the docks we slipped a nice tip to the skipper to be shared with the crew, and then headed to the PI. There I sipped a rum and had a grand relation with the quite showman style and entertaining parrot that was next to me in its cage.

Oh, Kerstain and Michele, who are not only excellent crew , but wonderfully friendly, with great personalities, and very fit young ladies added to the overall perfect sunset sail.

Erica and I were just finishing our second after sailing libatiion and getting ready to head back to Napili Bay, when Kerstain came in to the PI and we talked story with her. She is quite a lady and aleady has learned one of the valuable secrets of life.

Yep, FOLLOW YOUR PASSIONS, and if possible, incorporate those special skills into a lifesyle and career. She and her mate are planning on preparing their boat for a couple of years, save up a cruising kitty and to the south pacific and beyond.

We shared our aloha hugs with Kerstain and left the Pioneer Inn for the easy drive back to our cozy condo.

It had been another marvelous Maui day.

Tomorrow some more planned snorkeling much closer to home, and a fine day it will turn out to be.

Denny and Erica

It was their 2 hour sunset sail, and Capt. Turk....name is Mike Turka-a-somthing

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report # 2...snorkeling and sailing

Great report, Denny, thanks. Hopefully you can go back sometime during the winter when the south swells are a lot more tame!!

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report # 2...snorkeling and sailing

Love the sailing part......

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,691 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report # 2...snorkeling and sailing

Always fun to read a report on a "staycation"!! Sounds like you are doing it right!!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report # 2...snorkeling and sailing

Great report. Glad you experienced firsthand why the Scotch Mist II is our favorite activity when we travel to Maui. We're returning late next month and have already booked our group of 7 (some Maui "newbies") for a sail on Sept. 30. Can't wait (will be our 5th time on board, as well)!

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report # 2...snorkeling and sailing

I like your TR style too. We had the same surgy-swell issue on our one venture to S Maui during the past two weeks. Nothing too bad, just much more than what we had on W Maui. Plus the seemingly ever present "finger cloud" (someone on TA made a reference to this a while back) rappelling off Haleakala, covering much from S Kihei to far past Makena doesn't help visibility.

Snorkeling on W Maui was off the chart good. One morning the water at Honolua was Kealakekua clear and calm as a windless lake. If I ever get caught up on my yard work, I'll try to post a snorkel TR with some pics linked. Don't get too excited :), my new camera died at the end of week one, so I missed much of the best stuff.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report # 2...snorkeling and sailing

The sailing sounds wonderful. glad you and Erica got to have some time at the helm and after sail, talk story with Kerstain. Sorry you hit a swell day. Better luck next time.

Level Contributor
36,925 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report # 2...snorkeling and sailing

Wow, it sounds like an amazing time and the sailing sounds really fun! I enjoyed reading about your time on Maui! :)

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report # 2...snorkeling and sailing

We've been doing the Scotch Mist II since our second trip to Maui. First time, we sailed on America II. That was fun, but not even close to SM II experience. Crew is much friendlier on SM II, much less crowded -- way better experience all around. Can't wait to take family and friends out on the water next month. None of them have sailed on SM II.

Next to water
Level Contributor
300 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report # 2...snorkeling and sailing

super great report! really enjoyed reading it.

Level Contributor
36,925 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report # 2...snorkeling and sailing

The sailing sounds like a fantastic experience! I enjoyed reading about your time on Maui. :)