We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Wailea reviews

Colorado
Level Contributor
276 posts
231 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Wailea reviews

Trip advisor has been the source of a lot of good information over the years, to the point where I always consult it before traveling. However, the reviews for the Grand Wailea have me perplexed. We're planning a trip to Maui in October, and were planning to stay at the Grand Wailea, but the reviews are all over the place. Any suggestions on how to interpret the reviews? There are reviews posted by travelers who apparently stayed at the hotel the same week; one loved the place(4 or 5 stars) the other couldn't stand it.

Any advice appreciated, as the room cost is high enough to expect a special experience. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Wailea reviews

Travelers have varying expectations and are accustomed to different things. Reviews can be helpful, but the key to them is to read and see exactly what is bugging folks. Is there a common theme amongst gripes? What is the reviewers style and other reviews like?

There is not one property with a perfect 'score'. Ignore the number of stars - read the post and do a search through our commentary on the forums. Even the very best of the best will get dinged on reviews, frankly the higher the price the pickier I am and most folks are like that.

The Grand Wailea has a lot going for it, but the draw of the grounds and pools requires 'policing' (others have similar policies, wrist bands and jockeying for chairs) . If they didn't do the wristbands then everybody would want to play in the water (kind of an old joke around here, but you would be surprised how often people try to crash the pool). We stayed at a lovely hotel where wrist bands were needed for the slide - yet we were approached sitting poolside for not having a towel - just taking a break - yet met five people in one evening who were crashing the lagoon pool and I got over that feeling of ?!? about the policing the pools ....

The decision is yours, what are you looking for on your trip?

Colorado
Level Contributor
276 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Wailea reviews

What I'm looking for is what I guess most people traveling to Hawaii are looking for-a relaxing trip in a wonderful place with a minimum of hassle. Ordinarily, there is some consistency to a hotel's reviews; this isn't the case at the Grand Wailea. It seems that everything is an outlier. I've read countless reviews for the hotel and they are the most inconsistent I've ever read. It's probably best to err on the side of caution and stay elsewhere.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,145 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Wailea reviews

The forum here seems to tilt against this hotel. It's mega-big (but so are others). The 'pool park' portion means it is a kid magnet, which plays better if you're coming 'mit kinder'. If you are coming as a family, will you have to pry your kids away? It's a water experience they could probably get at a pool park closer to home than Maui.

The hotel is expensive, but so are other hotels in Wailea. However, 4S doesn't nickel and dime you like GW, and it has a different 'vibe'.

Remember that all Hawaiian beaches are public domain, so don't judge on that basis.

Also -- I would prefer an oceanview room in a less 'important' hotel to a non-view room almost anywhere in Hawaii. Double that during whale season!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Wailea reviews

Hrtraveler,

Inconsistent is exactly what our experience was at the Grand Wailea. I think the property has so much potential but it's not living up to it. The grounds are absolutely stunning, but our room was "tired" and believe me I am not picky. We only stayed two nights and even in that short time I noticed things around the property that needed to be fixed, tiles missing in the pool, cobwebs around the shutters in our room, sagging mattress, mildew in the bathroom. I think that what makes it so surprising is those problems are unexpected after entering through the beautiful lobby with the million dollars in artwork.

The service and food was very inconsistent as well, we ate at the poolside restaurant and the fish sandwich was so bad that my husband could not eat it. We are not foodies at all and usually my hubby will eat anything. We also ordered drinks at the pool and one day the drink was fabulous, the next day I ordered the same thing and it was terrible. It tasted like someone squirted dish washing detergent into the glass and then mixed the drink. These are just a few examples of what our experience was like.

I don't know if any of this helps you or not. Some people love the property. I wonder if they just love Maui and have some sentimental attachment to this property (have visited for a previous special occasion, return every year...). In my opinion there are other properties that deliver more consistent customer service.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Wailea reviews

The GW has always been a good property and my children talk about the place as a favorite.

I got this text this morning from a good friend...

"I'm in maui at grand wailea. I know u've been here with the kids. They r right. Amazing!!"

The GW is an amazing property, but it has those who LOVE IT and those who don't.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Wailea reviews

GW is a beautiful resort. I love it there, but I have personally gave it mixed reviews myself.

My first two stays there were great. I gave it 5 stars. My 3rd trip was not that great, I gave it 3 stars. (You can only see my 3 star review, because my previous reviews were with an old tripadvisor account, and I totally forgot the password to log back into that account).

My last trip was not great, because it was in the summer, the place was crowded and overwhelmed. My two previous trips were once in Feb and once in Sept. They were both great.

October is off season, a great time to visit Maui, and stay in GW. Yes, I still would recommend this resort to friends and family.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
rjf
LA
Level Contributor
221 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Wailea reviews

We have gone to Maui three times. We have stayed at Kea Lani, GW, and Four Seasons. I would stay at any of the three again.

If you are looking for relaxation, I would think the best option would be Four Seasons. This is the best resort that we have stayed at anywhere.

The first two trips were with our kids and the last trip to Four Seasons was just the wife and I. Are you going with kids? The kids loved the GW and the pool with slides. That is not to say that they would not love the Four Seasons. When we were there in November of last year, there were plenty of kids at the Four Seasons, just not as much as they have at GW.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,437 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Wailea reviews

I think you will find a lot of the GW reviews also mention the Four seaons. It is a rivalry for sure. Personally I think the GW has a bigger wow factor and is on the beach, so that is where I prefer. If I am going to spend that much I want the big splash. Never had any problems with the service at the grand wailea, everyone was super nice.

A note on any room in Hawaii, these are beach resorts, people come in with sand, people spray sun tan lotion all over the place, the rooms take a beating, they vacuum constantly. Unless they redo the rooms every three years they will always look a little tired.

9. Re: Grand Wailea reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 31, 2013