We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renaissance Hotel Construction in Wailea?

Lake George, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Renaissance Hotel Construction in Wailea?

Several years ago my husband and I enjoyed vacationing at Elua Village Condos and have booked again for two weeks beginning September 18-October 2nd. We're wondering about what's been happening (if anything) at the old Renaissance Wailea Beach Resort and if it's in the process of demolition or rehab. Our rental is at the opposite end of the property up towards Alanui Drive.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renaissance Hotel Construction in Wailea?

Demo and rehab have been in full swing for several months now. It's been a while since I have seen a report.

We will arrive in Kihei just before you by a week.. I'll check it out when we snorkel Ulua.

You should be fine with your rental at the far end.

Lake George, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Renaissance Hotel Construction in Wailea?

Thanks barefootnAR for your info!! This visit will be the first to Maui and Hawaii for my sister and her husband and I'm so hoping that construction won't cloud the scenery.

Do you stay in Kihei often? Can you recommend some good places to eat lunch or dinner in Kihei? We've enjoyed the Five Palms in the past for breakfast after walking early morning on the beach from Elua.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,805 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Renaissance Hotel Construction in Wailea?

I've been wondering about progress there. In January it was really noisy in some parts of Ekahi and Elua because they were still demolishing. It's a very big project.

Friends were staying in the southern end of Ekahi and were not bothered. What can you learn from the property manager for your condo?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,805 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Renaissance Hotel Construction in Wailea?

Sorry, our friends were NORTH in Ekahi! Duh.

I tried to find information about the new Andaz (Hyatt Brand), but the most recent information was that it would open in May 2013. (We all know how those things go in Hawaii!) Kind of telling that there's nothing about it on the Hyatt website -- nothing being marketed yet. (We need to go ask Amberloo.)

It's to be the usual lobby, meeting rooms, restaurants, spa, etc. and 255 hotel rooms, 35 suites, and 19 condo/villas of up to 2900 sq ft -- all on 16 acres. (As a density comparison, our condo complex at Maui Kamaole has 316 three-story one- and two-BR units on 23 acres.)

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renaissance Hotel Construction in Wailea?

Yes Kihei has been our homebase for over 20 visits. I know you will have fun sharing Maui with your sis and BIL.

Here are a few..

Coconuts Fish Market, near Stella Blues, Three's Bar and Grill in Kalama Plaza,

quick sandwich and salad at 808 Deli, 808 Bistro is only open for dinner, both are across from Kam II. Monkeypod in the new Gateway plaza up the hill from the Shops of Wailea. Also Pita in Paradise. Eskimo Candy (fish place)

Cafe O Lei, Gannon's (was the Seawatch, Gold golf course) great breakfast and lunch for the killer views.

Three's Bar and Grill & Monkeypod also have great 1/2 price appetizers at happy hour.

Waterfront at the Harbor has relocated to the Harbor shops and is now open for dinner. We love the Waterfront. They plan to add lunch in the future.

We also look for the huli huil chicken grill guy in front of the church at the north end of S Kihei road on Saturdays. Various sports teams will have fundraiser booths set up on the weekend for plate lunches..yummy.

Lunch at the college culinary school M-F open to students and the public, back side of the college has good food good prices.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,584 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renaissance Hotel Construction in Wailea?

Just to add to barefoot's wonderful list of places to eat in Kihei, is Kihei Caffe for breakfast!! Yum!!

Lake George, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Renaissance Hotel Construction in Wailea?

Thanks again (and to you also msfuzz) for your great recommendations - you've given us great "food" for thought and planning. I do want to try the college culinary offerings - we have a culinary school in our area as well and it's super! Wouldn't have known about it except for your advice - have a wonderful time on your upcoming vacation.

ChiSue - I'm going to be in touch with our rental agent very soon and will follow up on your report about the new hotel - thanks for the info!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renaissance Hotel Construction in Wailea?

Marie, look at the Culinary school web site. the 2nd year students do a sit down multi course meal for $ 30 something at noon. You do need reservations..

My list was average price places. there are many high end $$$$$ places at the Wailea resorts. The Shops of Wailea also have some $$$ places.

Thanks MsFuzz.. Kihei Cafe, fun place for breakfast, huge portions. Your guest must have a loco moco. Kihei Cafe does it right!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Renaissance Hotel Construction in Wailea?

My wife and I visited Maui May/June and the construction was in full swing with lots of noise. We have stayed at Elua in the past and were thinking of it again but decided not to because of the construction. In fact we were advised by the reservations person about the noise near the north end of the property. The main pool is on the northside.

With so many condo choices we picked another place. We walked by several times and you could hear quite a bit of construction noise on the walkway and the beach. At the time they were doing some heavy duty concrete and steel construction on the exterior.

Alpine, Utah
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Renaissance Hotel Construction in Wailea?

We are looking at staying there in April next year. Will the construction still be an issue then? Does anyone know?