We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Grand Wailea 1 nt stay and Wrist bands

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
539 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Grand Wailea 1 nt stay and Wrist bands

Okay so I know Grand Wailea wrist bands are a favourite (joking) forum topic, but I'm feeling stuck and would like your expertise.

My family of 4 is staying one night, the last night of our vacation at GW. We have one room booked through 3rd party travel website.

My parents now want to extend their trip (we're there for a family wedding) and join us for one night. They want to enjoy the pools with their grandkids.

Tried to book on-line for one night and it looks unavailabe, but when I spoke to a reservations agent she said there is availability buy minimum nights required for our dates, which we can't do.

1. I emailed the hotel to request a one night exception for a second room.

2. If they say no, I plan to keep checking GW website closer to arrival date to see if they have released unbooked rooms. Do Hilton Honors points help in this regard?

3. What next? Can I book the Four Seasons or Fairmont and hope that we can get enough wrist bands for the 6 of us...cheating, yes, but I'm happy to pay . just looking for ways to include everyone in the fun at the pools.

We love the beaches of Hawaii but we love great pools too.

Thanks in advance

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Grand Wailea 1 nt stay and Wrist bands

maybe I dont understand this right but here goes, we always get our wristbands while staying and even on the day of checkout. the GW sometimes are sticklers on how many people collect bands from your room but they will sell you extra bands at 50$.

so if you get some bands and check out and move to the FS or Kea Lani you could get back into the GW pool.

you also have the option of Hoolei across the street and will have no problem using the pool with free transportation.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,080 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Grand Wailea 1 nt stay and Wrist bands

The only way you can legitimately have everyone at the same pool is to all be guests at the hotel where the pool is located. Like you said, anything else is cheating and there is always a chance of getting caught. How would you get extra wristbands? Answer is, you can't.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,080 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Grand Wailea 1 nt stay and Wrist bands

QFox, first time I've heard of the GW selling extra wristbands. Is this something new?

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Grand Wailea 1 nt stay and Wrist bands

I cant say when it was implemented but my brother bought me a band once about 2 years ago so he could force me to come down. I laugh at him. he coulda just gave me 50$ and I would be there easy and no swimming.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Grand Wailea 1 nt stay and Wrist bands

GW has minimum two night stays. But you can try calling them and speak with a manager to get an one night exception for the grandparents. We had family members that joined us at the GW for one night last summer. They simply call and spoke with a manager, and the manager said okay. It sounded pretty easy.

And I have not heard of them selling wristbands either. I believe you have to be guests there to use their pools.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Grand Wailea 1 nt stay and Wrist bands

I can only respond to actual fact, that what I claim is how it is/was. I will note were Kamaaina and will also note that we have booked for only a one night stay before. booked 2 rooms same night if thats an exception to the rule IDK.

so maybe just call the front desk and ask and also come back to this post. I will try and do it now myself.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Grand Wailea 1 nt stay and Wrist bands

so some clarifacation, Kamaaina will get some leeway on a one night stay depending on availabilty Mon - Thurs. weekends no.

room guest will be allowed 4 wrist bands for 2 adults and 2 children and the only exception is a family with 3 children. I asked about purchase and they say no on that.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
539 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking Grand Wailea 1 nt stay and Wrist bands

Thanks Qfox. You rock. I appreciate knowing ahead of time so we can plan accordingly.

Edited: 8:45 pm, April 10, 2012
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,080 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking Grand Wailea 1 nt stay and Wrist bands

Thanks QFox for the research, comes in handy for the future!!

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,022 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking Grand Wailea 1 nt stay and Wrist bands

haha sometimes, I got this on the Maui forums today titled "Maui Bars". the thread was to long just for this little info so I'm copying and pasting.

>>I called the GW and you can get a wrist band which is basically access to all of the pools and such but they're $100 a piece. Actually it's $200 for 2 and $400 for 4 because who wants to go there alone right? They said they'd cut me a single person's deal. It's just do I want to pay $100 off the top to go and get a $17 dollar first drink! lol...I may skip that activity.<<