We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wants to do alot but relax also!

houston tx
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Wants to do alot but relax also!

Realistically how much (tours,site seeing, etc) can we do in 6 days without burning ourselves out on vacation.

LA
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Wants to do alot but relax also!

No one can answer this.

Why don't you just do what you feel like doing each day? I would think the definition of vacation would allow you to do as much or as little as you want.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,493 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wants to do alot but relax also!

The answer depends on you!.How old, how active, likes and dislikes. We have some trip reports where folks are busy, busy with activities everyday and others that don't do anything but sit on the beach and lounge. I have some friends that go, go, go, saying they will rest when they get home.

Help us to help you with more information to the questions above and...Will Maui be the only island?, Have you been to Hawaii before????

Coming from Houston, don't count the travel day. It's a long day. Depending on the time you leave, you really only have 5 1/2 days.

Sultan, Washington
Level Contributor
293 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wants to do alot but relax also!

That is about the length of my vacations. You can do a great deal in that much time. I'm not a Hana type, if I ever go it will be in a van with someone else driving. Hana takes a day, the crater takes a day. You could spend a good day upcountry including Paia, Makawao, Iao Needle, etc. You could spend a whole day on a Lanai Snorkeling. Wandering Lahaina could blow a day. My advice, make a long list of what you want to do like crater, Hana, snorkel tour etc, figure whether it take a day, a half day, part of a day, figure how much soaking in one spot you want, and whittle away from there.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wants to do alot but relax also!

My rule of thumb is to not plan more than 2 activities per week. So plan the two you know you MUST do, then play the rest by ear. See how you're feeling on any given day. Some of my best Hawaiian adventures were activities that we picked while already on our trip.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,365 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wants to do alot but relax also!

When I get to Maui, I want to go, go, go!! I too can rest at home. It all depends on what your style is. Only you can really answer that question.

houston tx
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wants to do alot but relax also!

I'm 38 and like doing a lot of things in and out doors also we arrive in Maui @ 2:30 and I'm probaly just going to try and view the resort and enjoy the beach that day.

LA
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Wants to do alot but relax also!

Do that. We love sitting on the beach at sunset in swimsuits with our feet in the waves, a discrete beverage in hand), celebrating in being in Hawaii.

We are beach people, we like to enjoy surises and early swims, then plan activities for afternoon when it gets hot or windy. That could just be going for ice cream, or shopping, or something more formal. Later in the week, a trip to upcountry to visit the winery area and the beautiful scenery is a nice change.

Level Contributor
113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wants to do alot but relax also!

Personally I plan something everyday, and some days two things. I am from MIchigan and do not have a chance to do most of the activities that I can do in Hawaii. Most activities are only a few hours, and then you have the rest of the day to explore. The last time I went to Hawaii I did not plan anything for 1 day of my trip until the Luau in the evening. That was a boring day. I can only spend so long at the beach. It is fun to go to everyday, but an hour or two is all I need.

I am going to Kauai in June for only 6 days. I have already booked biking the canyon, a sunset dinner cruise, ocean rafting, a luau, kayaking the Napali coast, a couple's massage, ATVing and Stand Up paddle boarding. I couldn't imagine not having a plan. I am not one to sit on a vacation.

Level Contributor
113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wants to do alot but relax also!

That's how I feel!

Level Contributor
113 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wants to do alot but relax also!

The firtst day is the only day that I don't plan something. If I could I would, but I worry about delayed flights! The first day is a great beach day!