We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Visit to Hawaii on Round the World trip

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
First Visit to Hawaii on Round the World trip

Hi All

This is my initial plan. Arrive 3/29/09 staying thro 04/03/09.My wife and I are young 60's on route from NZ to Florida. We arrive at 8.00am and planed to visit the Pearl Harbor Museum and then take afternoon flight to Maui. Thinking of staying at the Maui Prince Hotel with Ocean View Room. I have been using the web site for Panda Travel/Hawaii Inter Island Flights has anyone experience of this site? We enjoy site seeing, photography and visiting places of interest and learning about the local culture. Any views on the above most appreciated. Also when we return to the big Island we will will have two/three hours between flights any suggestions on how to best spend the time also appreciated.

Many thanks

Ossie

Mount Vernon,Il
Level Contributor
739 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Visit to Hawaii on Round the World trip

You said when you return to the Big Island. Is that what you mean or are you returning to Oahu to fly out? It will certainly make a difference on what is advised to see.

England
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Visit to Hawaii on Round the World trip

Hi Mauiillinois

Sorry, I meant Oahu. Thanks for the correction

Ossie

Mount Vernon,Il
Level Contributor
739 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Visit to Hawaii on Round the World trip

I'm not sure if you'll have time but if you do you may want to visit Hanauma Bay which is past Diamond Head.

You may want to check it out on their web-site and see if it to your liking.

The problem may be the traffic to get there through downtown.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Visit to Hawaii on Round the World trip

Maui Prince is fine -- older, but a nice hotel and on a great beach. It is in far south South Maui, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Read through some posts on the Maui forum for ideas of what to do/see on Maui.

I wouldn't leave the Honolulu airport with only 2-3 hours between flights.

Mount Vernon,Il
Level Contributor
739 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Visit to Hawaii on Round the World trip

The Maui Prince does have a web site on which if you join their free customer program they offer discounts on rooms. I don't know beneficial they are. We did join although we always end up staying in the Kaanapali area, but the Prince is in a beautiful quiet setting.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,380 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Visit to Hawaii on Round the World trip

Also when we return to the big Island we will will have two/three hours between flights any suggestions on how to best spend the time also appreciated.

2-3 hours between flights at Honolulu Airport is not enough time to do anything.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
507 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Visit to Hawaii on Round the World trip

I think you will love the Maui Prince Hotel. I have stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua, the Four Seasons Wailea, and the Maui Prince at Makena Resort.

The although the other two hotels are a bit more luxurious, the Maui Prince just underwent a multi-million dollar "rejuvenation."

The views from the Maui Prince can not be beat. All of the rooms have some sort of ocean view. I would highly suggest booking an ocean front room, and you might ask for an upgrade to the ocean front suite, which is absolutely fabulous. You will literally be able to sit on your lanai and watch the Humpback whales from one of your 3 lanais (if you are in a suite)! Plus, the Maui Prince is on a beautiful beach shared with no other resort. Maluaka beach is very secluded and never crowded.

Check out my recent review of the Maui Prince for more details and some photos.

If you do a luau on Maui, the Feast at Lele in Lahaina is the best in all of Hawaii.

Spend as much time on Maui as possible. It is much more relaxing than O'ahu. As you may have heard, Honolulu is often called "Los Angeles West."

Calgary
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First Visit to Hawaii on Round the World trip

The Maui Prince is wonderful and the Ocean View rooms are great. 2 - 3 hours isn't really enough time to do anything in Honolulu especially if you get stuck in the afternoon rush hour. If you want to get an earlier flight, you could take a taxi into Waikiki and walk around a bit. Hanuma Bay is about a 40 minute drive from the airport and is much better in the early morning. You most likely will not want to get all sandy or swim since you will not have a place to shower off and get changed before your next flight. I have never used Panda and book my flights directly through Hawaiian Airlines. Lots of site seeing on Maui. You may enjoy the bike ride down the volcano after sunrise. It's a once in a lifetime experience and you see all but 2 of the world's climate zones as you head down. Enjoy your trip.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Visit to Hawaii on Round the World trip

Oahu is rather small, Maui twice its size

Big island refers to the the Island Of Hawaii...which is 7 times the size of Oahu

Ok.... In seeing Pearl Harbor memorial. allow time for the Submarine Museum and the USS Missouri... plan on spending a good 6 hours there. its a 5 min cab ride from the airport... allow 1.5 hours to check in and go through security for interisland flights

On your return 2-3 hours is not enought time to see or do anything.....if you leave security you will have to go through long lines.... There are lots of shops and places to eat in the secure zone

10. Re: First Visit to Hawaii on Round the World trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:34 am, October 12, 2009