We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Wailea Marriott

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Topic
Question about Wailea Marriott

My husband and I, along with our 2 yr old and 3 month old infant are booked at the Marriott this weekend for a week. I noted on my confirmation that they added a charge for $80 for "additional adult" which they said was my husband. Has anyone had a charge like this before? I thought when you booked a room that that was the room rate for two adults (except overseas).

Also, can anyone tell me if I can walk to the Grand Wailea easily with my two kids on the beach path with a stroller? Are strollers allowed on the beach path? I have a meeting at the GW and will need to go back and forth often. As for booking a room there - it was full by the time I made the reservation.

Thanks in advance!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Wailea Marriott

I don't understand the charge at all and I hope someone else can explain it.

I've stayed there several times, using award points, so I have no experience with the way they factor the room rate.

The beach walk is lovely, is fine for strollers, and you are about 4-5 min from the Grand Wailea at a reasonable pace.

Lombard, IL
Level Contributor
790 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Wailea Marriott

On a normal vacation rate that charge sounds very odd. I'm wondering if it has something to do with your meeting(s). Is this some sort of convention rate that would be only a single and they're adding resort fees for your husband? I don't know but it hit me as a possibility.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Wailea Marriott

Call the Wailea Marriott directly to question the charge. They must have one of your children accidently listed as an adult??? I have stayed there 2 twice with 4 in the room- 2 adults and 2 children/teens with no additional charge.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Wailea Marriott

Thanks for all the replies. I did call the hotel directly this morning and they took off the charge since there were only two adults. I did not get any convention rates, etc since the meeting is not being held at the Marriott. As an added bonus, the reservation agent lowered my daily rate since I was a Marriotts Rewards member - not by much, but every bit helps.

When I called last night, I was transferred to the worldwide reservation agent who told me that the rate I got (Long-term stay of >7 nights) was a single rate and that the $80 charge was additional depending on the resort. I thought maybe it was specific to Hawaii or Marriott resorts.

Any pointers on getting a better rate? I do know someone who works in Marriott and perhaps she could get me a F&F rate, or at least free internet...just hoping.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Wailea Marriott

what rate are you paying?

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Wailea Marriott

We are paying $263 plus resort fee plus taxes.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about Wailea Marriott

I think the friends and family rate was $299 last summer.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about Wailea Marriott

I just checked my reservation - I was going to cancel and go with a package deal with breakfast, oceanview upgrade, hotel taxes and a rental car for $284/night (resprt fee excluded) through a travel agency, but I got a rate of $199/night at a Marriott Friends and Family rate. Hopefully we will get a room upgrade upon check-in and we will wing it with breakfast.

We do like having breakfast at the hotel with the 2 1/2 year old without having to go out somewhere - anyone know how much the breakfast is? If not, we'll find out when we get there.

Now if I can only get comlimentary internet and fit all our luggage into carry-on baggage so we don;t have to pay for checked bags, I would already rate our trip a success!

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about Wailea Marriott

Sounds like a great deal either way. The $284 might be a better deal if you wanted to have the breakfast buffet and were set on an ocean view. We were offered ocean view upgrades at check-in both time we stayed on a friends and family/associates rate, but at a cost. I think it was about an additional $75 per night. We did not upgrade either time. The first time we were placed in a ground floor room by the kids pool (kids loved it) and the second time we were placed in the Haleakela towers in a very non view room.(looked at the entrance/trash area)We were rarely in the room so it wasn't that big of a deal. Since your children are very young, you will likely have more in room time. The kids pool area is closer to Wailea beach and the Grand Wailea so you might request a room in that area since your convention is at the Grand Wailea.

You can't touch a room at any other hotel in Wailea for anywhere close to $199 a night so you got a great deal. Your friends and family rate is $100 less per night than I paid in the summer of 07.

Years ago, I paid $89 per night on an associates rate when my mother worked for marriott. Now that was a deal!!

I think the breakfast buffet is about $25 per person. They also serve breakfast at the cheeseburger place in the shops at wailea which is walking distance from the Marriott. There is a whalers general store in the shops that sells good take out deli sandwiches and assorted other items for the days that you are too pooped to go to a restaurant for lunch/dinner. I haven't been in a little over a year so things may have changed.

Have a great trip!

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about Wailea Marriott

Thanks for all the great info! My friend told me they already upgraded us to an oceanview! Wowee, I feel that this trip is off to a great start. Now, I don't feel as bad for not getting into the Grand Wailea where the meeting is where they offered rooms at $200 per night.

I think we can spring for the internet, however, my husband doesn't want to see how badly the stock market is doing...

Thanks for the restaurant/breakfast tips. I think being flexible and just trying to relax and enjoy ourselves will be key, even though I have to "work."

Thanks, again!