We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quality of the rooms in Four Seasons - bit dated?

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
londonsidewalk
6 posts
Save Topic
Quality of the rooms in Four Seasons - bit dated?

Hi,

After looking around for ages, we are leaning towards Maui, the Four Seasons for our honeymoon in Sept 2008.

I thought we had it all sorted -

First Class to LAX

4 nights in Shutters

Then first class to Maui from LAX

Then 10 nights in a club room in the Four Seasons.

Now thanks to this great site, I am wondering if I am about to make a wrong decision. The rooms to me, look dated and 1970's ish. The Four Seasons in the UK are great. It is really dated?

The furniture looks a bit cheap.

Please I am not trying to offend anyone, but have they been changed in the last year or is wicker all the rage in Hawaii?

Any views would be great.

Many thanks in Advance

Boston
Level Contributor
133 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quality of the rooms in Four Seasons - bit dated?

They actually just finished refurbishing their rooms last year. The resorts in Hawaii tend to decorate their rooms with an Asian feel to them, so that's probably what you are seeing. I don't care for the new rooms. I think they look blah. Any resort in Hawaii won't look like anything you see in Europe or the US. Just think Asian and that's what the rooms will be furnished in.

This resort has a very upscale feel to it. If you like a formal feeling to where you stay then this might be the place for you. It's very nice, but I don't care for the "see and be seen" feeling I get there. The service is top notch though. They think of everything for you.

I personally love the villas at the Fairmont Kea Lani just down the way from the Four Seasons. I love having my own plunge pool and my own bathroom. They also have a seperate adult pool, which the Four Seasons doesn't have. September is a perfect time to go. We are also going then. It is nice and quiet because all the children are back to school. The weather is VERY hot though in September, so don't forget a strong sunscreen.

Cleburne, Texas
Level Contributor
401 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quality of the rooms in Four Seasons - bit dated?

We just returned from our stay at the Four Seasons at Wailea and the room upgrades were great. The rooms are very large with 42 inch plasma tvs, beautiful furniture and very comfortable beds. The bathrooms are probably the largest of any in Hawaii with walk-in showers, large soaking tubs, separate water closets, double sinks, etc. The club level at the Four Seasons is exquisite with so much food and drink all day that you could have all your meals there and never leave the floor. You won't go wrong with your stay there!

londonsidewalk
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Quality of the rooms in Four Seasons - bit dated?

Thanks so much for both of your views, it helps a lot, I think I was just worrying about the quality a bit, your feedback has helped me to book the four seasons, I am looking forward to it!!

Will report back with a review!

Thanks again!xxx

Rockport...
Level Contributor
203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Quality of the rooms in Four Seasons - bit dated?

As others have said, the entire resort has recently undergone renovation. The resort is a little plain, even for 'understated', but it is in good shape. Rooms and bathrooms are similar in size to most of the other resorts, although the Kea Lani is all suites and the bathrooms are a tad nicer. The FS's niche is really service, and for the most part they do it well. (housekeeping being the exception, though they do try) Additionally, you won't be nickeled and dimed for pool and beach amenities.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
654 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quality of the rooms in Four Seasons - bit dated?

Four seasons will be fine. I would ditch shutters ans go to casa del mar instead.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quality of the rooms in Four Seasons - bit dated?

We were at the FS 2 years ago and loved it, right before the refurbishment. We are going back this summer and can't wait. We love the FS Maui.

londonsidewalk
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Quality of the rooms in Four Seasons - bit dated?

Thanks for the messages, we are now looking into Casa Del Mar also, maybe a few days in shutters and then FS and then a few days in Casa Del Mar on the way back! I will report back with pics and a review later in October 08.

Boston
Level Contributor
133 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quality of the rooms in Four Seasons - bit dated?

Many people state that the FS doesn't nickel and dime like other resorts do. Wouldn't you agree that with the prices they charge that they just added it into the price of the room? I don't think that they would have the audacity to charge for beach chairs, etc. with what they charge.

They are having a hard time filling their rooms right now because they have substantially raised their room rates in the past couple of years. In 2005 we paid $625 for an Ocean View Room. That same room now goes for $860 during the times we usually go. Yikes! I understand that resorts raise rates after a refurb, but they went crazy with it. $260 in two years is a lot of money. They haven't raised the rates this year, but probaby because they can't fill them. We are getting offers from the Hualalei, Lanai and Wailea FS for free nights and some with breakfast included. They are doing this in their peak times too. I remember you had to book 6-8 months in advance to be able to get a room at these resorts. Not anymore.

I guess my point is that they include all the extra goodies in the price of the room and the other resorts don't.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,977 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quality of the rooms in Four Seasons - bit dated?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k202521…

For a more recent post by misshopper.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
418 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quality of the rooms in Four Seasons - bit dated?

We just stayed there and it was wonderful!

I could find no fault (and I tend to be fussy) with anything. The only complaint, and it wasn't really a problem , is that our room wasn't done until after 4 PM one day. After that, I simply requested early housekeeping service and it was done without an issue.

The rooms and hotel were lovely! The staff was gracious and catered to you.

We walked to the Fairmont and that was outdated. It looked okay at first glance and then you saw dirty walls and peeling paint.

I only peeked in the rooms at the Grand Wailea and they looked small.

Wicker is very common in tropical hotels! I have been in several upscale hotels that featured wicker or bamboo.