We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Maui in June!

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Maui in June!

We are looking at staying at The Whaler in Ka'anapali Beach or Polo Beach Club in Wailea. We are a couple in our late 40's who are planning to go by ourselves (no kids on this trip) for a first trip to Maui (we've been to Oahu and Kauai previously). Can anyone comment on the beach in front of each condo--what you liked/disliked about each?

Since we are going at the end of the June, can someone comment on the beach conditions during that time in each area? I've heard Ka'anapali tends to be a bit windier--is this at certain times of the year or generally all the time? I'm most concerned about the calmnest of the water--i know beach conditions can change at any time, but I'm not a strong swimmer and like the idea of snorkeling and enjoy swimming, but worry about the safety of each beach.

California
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Maui in June!

Both are nice places. If you can upgrade a little more - I would go to Makena Surf instead of Polo Beach Club - go to villasofhawaii.com and they will probably get you a discount in June? The beaches in front of both places are nice for swimming and walking. Snorkling will not be great at either spot - if you want good snorkling outside your condo - again go to Makena surf or in Wailea go to Elua - both you can just put on your mask and step into the water. Water conditions are fairly calm in June. Kaanapali is definitely windier though, especially in the afternoons. The beach is much more sloped in Kaanapali and the drop off in the water comes quickly. If you are looking for a quieter time and less crowds stay in Wailea/Makena areas.

Calgary
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Maui in June!

I second the Wailea are vote. Kaanapali is nice to go for a day to and visit but wouldn't want to try to spend a quiet holiday there. Beaches are definitely nicer and calmer for swimming and snorkling in Wailea. I think the Polo Beach club looks nice but I have never stayed there so I can't comment on insides.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,910 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Maui in June!

If the beach is your priority, stick with Wailea -- either Polo Beach Club (high-rise) or Makena Surf (low-rise). Polo is closer in to the Wailea resort hotels and shops. Makena Surf is farther south. Wailea Ekahi and Elua are also nice properties. These are ALL older complexes, so do some vetting on vrbo to get a refurbished unit.

If shopping/nightlife are priorities, you'd like Kaanapali better. (Doesn't sound like that's the case.) It's less than a hour's drive from Wailea to Lahaina/Kaanapali to see that part of Maui, which has more restaurants and shops (and traffic).

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Maui in June!

good advice from the others. Polo beach is an outstanding beach and the complex is oceanfront. I would try to see whats available or VRBO and mauiownercondos.com

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Maui in June!

Love all the messages everyone has been posting with suggestions! Mahalo!

6. Re: Visiting Maui in June!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, September 16, 2009