We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Seasons vs. Grand Wailea with 10 and 13 year old?

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kelowna
Level Contributor
37 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Four Seasons vs. Grand Wailea with 10 and 13 year old?

Looking to book a few nights at a high end resort ... I think the service at the 4S sounds wonderful and the reviews are amazing but know the kids will be 'looking over the fence' wishing they were at the Grand Wailea with all its water slides etc. The reviews on the GW are so inconsistent and I worry about putting out the $ and being disappointed ... not finding shade, being nickle and dimed etc. Any suggestions?

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four Seasons vs. Grand Wailea with 10 and 13 year old?

It all depends, when are you going? If you are going during off-season, than I do recommend GW. If you're going during the summer or during school breaks, it gets pretty crowded by the pools and guests are up early saving chairs. Not finding shade was never a big issue as we were in the pool a lot and if not, it was easy to find a beach chair and put it under a palm tree by the beach. We also had clip on umbrella's that you can get at Longs in Kihei. If you're combining your stay with somewhere else too and just want to check out GW for the pools, 1-2 days is enough. Gorgeous resort but rooms, service, food are fair, and yes, lots of nickel and diming, my kids loved the pools but we would only return during off season. Happy travels, aloha!

Washington
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four Seasons vs. Grand Wailea with 10 and 13 year old?

Are you set on Wailea? I would pick the GW there because of the kids. I DO believe that they will be wishing for the pool there. How about the Westin at Kaanapali instead? Kaanapali is a fun area with more to do IMO for kids. Whaler's Village is close by and there is a shuttle to Lahaina. The pool at the Westin is fun, too. As a side benefit, it will cost less. Join Starwood and save even more.

Kelowna
Level Contributor
37 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four Seasons vs. Grand Wailea with 10 and 13 year old?

Thanks for your suggestions. We're going mid Jan so hopefully it will be a little less conjested. I'm thinking one day at the 4S (for me) and one day at the GW for them. We're staying at a condo in Kahana for the days prior.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Four Seasons vs. Grand Wailea with 10 and 13 year old?

Take at look at the Fairmont Kea Lani. It is a good compromise between the FS and the GW. Also, the rooms might be more comfortable for four people. It is in the same general area (about a 15 minute walk from the FS), and the pools are nicer than the FS but not quite up to the standards of the GW. It is also an interesting looking place.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four Seasons vs. Grand Wailea with 10 and 13 year old?

My hubby and I have stayed at the Grand Wailea twice. It was just the two of us, but we had as much fun at the pools as all of the kids there! It was wonderful. I do not recall having a very hard time looking for a lounge chair by the pools. It may be more difficult to find four chairs together, but you could switch off between the pools and two chairs fairly easily. Don't let this upset your vacation though. Jump in and enjoy what the resort has to offer.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
649 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four Seasons vs. Grand Wailea with 10 and 13 year old?

Without a doubt, I would choose the GW for your stay. The resort is gorgeous and pools are a blast for kids. Don't worry about the crowds - just grab a couple of chairs together (anywhere around the pools or grassy chapel area) and make it your "homebase". My kids tend to spend at least half of the time in the ocean or playing catch on the beach and the rest of the time in the pools/spas. We always bring a couple of clip-on umbrellas just in case we can not find chairs in the shade. Have a great time!

Kelowna
Level Contributor
37 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four Seasons vs. Grand Wailea with 10 and 13 year old?

Thanks - definitely will grab some clip on umbrellas. One of the tripadvisor comments said that $250 for a cabana was cheaper than a sunburn ... but it would drive me crazy to spend that for shade! That seemed to be the main issue that people had was the whole running to grab shade! Has anyone been at the GW in mid January?

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four Seasons vs. Grand Wailea with 10 and 13 year old?

Yea, I guess if you are one to lounge all day by the pool, I'd get a cabana but honestly, it's not very practical. We saw people who had them reserved and were not in them much at all, too much fun to be had in the pools and in the ocean. The clip on umbrella's were great but caution, when afternoon hit, it got really windy, a couple times my beach chair with umbrella got swept away by the wind and fell into the pool/ baby beach area. Even if you don't get shade by a thatched umbrella area, there is plenty of shade under a palm or foilage. 1 night at GW will get you 2 full days at the pool, good move, look at it as an activity/excursion for the kids, they'll love it. The trampoline in the ocean is fun too, happy travels, aloha!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
12 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Four Seasons vs. Grand Wailea with 10 and 13 year old?

The Four Seasons cabanas are actually free! You pay more for the rooms, but the service is unbelievable. Read the 4S reviews and you will see that most of them talk about the free cabanas, water, fruit, sun block etc..........

Chicago
Level Contributor
491 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Four Seasons vs. Grand Wailea with 10 and 13 year old?

Stay at the Grand Wailea. Your kids will thank you. The pools are unbelievable.