We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or rental car to Wailea?

oregon
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Taxi or rental car to Wailea?

Any advice regarding the cost of a taxi from OGG to Wailea would be appreciated. We're staying near the Four Seasons and don't plan on doing much in the way of sightseeing as we're only there 5 days.

Is it realistic to not rent a car?

Thanks.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi or rental car to Wailea?

IMO, you 're going to want to rent a car. Everything on Maui is very spread out, and you'll be stuck without one. You might want to go into Lahaina, for dinner, or up the road to Kihei for more beach choices. It's not that expensive, and it will give you freedom to expore the beautiful island.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi or rental car to Wailea?

To amend my post, you won't be truly 'stuck' without a car; you could always take a taxi. But for what you 'd pay in taxi expenses, you could rent a car. That's what I meant.

oregon
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi or rental car to Wailea?

Thanks for your feedback. Would you have a recommendation on which car rental firm to use? I always prefer local but am not familiar with the options.

Thanks again.

Chicago
Level Contributor
491 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi or rental car to Wailea?

A lot of activities are a fair drive from Wailea and it's quite a hike from the airport (30-40 minutes maybe), so I'd recommend a car. I got a good deal on a compact from Budget for my trip last week. I had a car for 4 days and paid $88 (total) with tax included. I used a 15% discount code that was on the United Airlines website to get that rate. Enjoy Wailea- it's beautiful.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi or rental car to Wailea?

We are budget travelers so we use Alamo and get a good deal but sometimes have to wait in a long line. Hertz might be one of the best in terms of service. Some of the local car companies may pick you up at the airport but may also have an older fleet and sometimes unpleasant suprises.

Most of the national brands require you to take a shuttle to their location about a 1/2 mile away.

I think you will appreciate Maui more with a car unless you have private sight-seeing tours lined up every day. Even with just 5 days you may want to check out the beaches of Makena or walk up and down Front Street to see the old storefronts of Lahaina.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,892 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi or rental car to Wailea?

Rent a car or you will take as taxi and it will add up to more then the car rental. So much to see and even if you dont want to see much, just leaving the beautiful resort to get the local feeling, its Hawaii get out a little. We use Hertz.

oregon
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi or rental car to Wailea?

Thanks everyone for the advice - sounds like renting a car is the way to go. I really appreciate all of the feedback.

8. Re: Taxi or rental car to Wailea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, September 01, 2009