We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renaissance Wailea -- closing status? Should we stay here?

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
121 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Renaissance Wailea -- closing status? Should we stay here?

Would love to stay here for our trip to Maui in June, but don't know if it will continue to be 100% operational. Not sure if I should avoid this place all together, as trip advisor reviews are mixed, esp. about the hotel's closing. Thank you!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Renaissance Wailea -- closing status? Should we stay here?

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=14739

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,905 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Renaissance Wailea -- closing status? Should we stay here?

Pretty soon you won't be able to stay in a hotel on Maui because there won't be any. The trend these days is to build lots and lots of condo's. Expensive ones. The tourist bureaus are catering to the "upper echelon". These are the people they want coming to Maui. Just look what happened at the Kapalua Bay Hotel. Same thing.

Missouri
Level Contributor
784 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Renaissance Wailea -- closing status? Should we stay here?

We stayed at this hotel 5 years ago and loved it. It was so relaxing and the lobby had a beautiful view out the back to the ocean.

It is very sad that condos will be built on the property. I loved the walk to the pool and the beach.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,800 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Renaissance Wailea -- closing status? Should we stay here?

Hey msfuzz!

I remember when that quaint little shopping village existed where the "Shops at Wailea" are. Progress...it isn't always positive is it? There were no condos in front of the "Shops at Wailea", no expensive lots for sale west of the Fairmont Kea Lanai, no bunch of condos of the #1 beach on the Travel Channel, Kapulua Bay.

I suppose this is all about $$$, right? Well, I will stay this summer at the Maui Prince; go to Big Beach and Little Beach, and pray part of Maui NEVER changes! Tell me what you think! Mahalo.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,800 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Renaissance Wailea -- closing status? Should we stay here?

But the question is: "When will the Renaissance Wailea close?" According to the www.mauinews.com article, dated NOVEMBER 2005, construction will be complete on the St. Regis by end of 2008.

It appears that maybe that the government controlling Maui County will give the final OK and approval.

Let's hope they never do! Could some locals with any insight add to this discussion? Thanks.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,905 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Renaissance Wailea -- closing status? Should we stay here?

Aloha! Caddyshackman. Sounds like we are on the same planet!!! Sure, the planning commission and the county council will approve this. Things just move very slowly here. They approve everything sooner or later. Wait until the next time you are on your way to Big Beach and Litlle Beach, developers are aiming there and have been for a long while. Now the developers have their sights on West Maui. Namely Lipoa Pt. near Honolua Bay. They ain't gonna get it without a fight though. There is development going on near Maluaka beach right now. If you have at least 3mil. you too can enjoy Maui.

ms.fuzz

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,800 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Renaissance Wailea -- closing status? Should we stay here?

Hey msfuzz,

I've always heard that Big Beach/Little Beach is a "national park". Maybe I don't have the right label on that. Anyway the claim is, that they can't build on federal or public owned lands. If they start building past Maui Prince onto Big Beach, then Maui as we know it is doomed.

Can this happen? I'm not a local but what can I do! I love Makena!

caddy...

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,905 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Renaissance Wailea -- closing status? Should we stay here?

I believe Big Beach is a state park. No developement there. Just across the street!! Makena will look like Wailea someday.

Memphis, TN
2 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Renaissance Wailea -- closing status? Should we stay here?

I just booked to stay at the hotel a couple of weeks ago for July 19-26. The woman at the reservations desk said they wouldn't be closing for a while. I have read mixed reviews also and was hesitant to book our stay in Hawaii at this hotel. However, we booked online and received a huge military discount so I figured we were saving enough money to be able to look past the small things that made need work. We are also looking for dining, shopping, and acitvites around the area that are reasonably priced if anyone has suggestions!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
19 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Renaissance Wailea -- closing status? Should we stay here?

I sent an email to Marriott today, asking them if they were closing this resort, and i mentioned all the rumors at this website.

they answered, only to say "We do not have any information at this time".

Based on that evasive answer, I would not book a room here. Pick a different Marriott. The Wailea Marriott has just undergone a renovation and the rooms look nice. My husband and I just returned from a wonderful stay at the newly renovated Waikoloa marriott on the Big Island...it was great...and it's a much nicer island...many more things to see...including the volcano...and less touristy.