We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ice Camp Eqi or Camp Ice Cap (Kangerlussuaq)?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Ice Camp Eqi or Camp Ice Cap (Kangerlussuaq)?

We are planning a trip to Greenland this summer and would like to do one of the overnight ice camps. Can anyone recommend whether we should do Ice Camp Eqi in Illulissat or Camp Ice Cap in Kangerlussuaq?

Thanks in advance

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ice Camp Eqi or Camp Ice Cap (Kangerlussuaq)?

Very few places in Greenland are as beautiful as the Eqi glacier, which comes out in a fiord about 70 km north of Ilulissat. It is by boat possible to go very close to the edge of the glacier and see big pieces of ice break off. The crashes are enormous and the sight of the icebergs falling into the water is impressive

The excursion can be chosen as a one day excursion or spending the night in Eqi. If you wish to stay in Eqi, you stay in our huts in Glacier Lodge Eqi (formerly known as Ice Camp Eqi). You can stay one or more nights in Eqi. If you only want to go on a day excursion.

The length of the boat trip to and from the glacier can last between 2 - 5 hours each way. It depends on the boat used the given day. The stop in front of the glacier lasts approximately 2 hours.

I will be doing this trip in June. Will try to post my trip after.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ice Camp Eqi or Camp Ice Cap (Kangerlussuaq)?

Hi KimInDenver,

The stay in Ice Camp Eqi in Illulissat and Camp Ice Cap in Kangerlussuaq would be 2 pretty different experiences. Ice Camp Eqi are proper huts next to the glacier where you can make your hikes to the ice cap. Whereas Camp Ice Cap in Kangerlussuaq are tents, not proper huts (so don't expect shower/internet facilities etc.) where you have to hike to reach the camp on the ice cap... Basically you would be staying on top of a big ice cube. =)

Personally I will be staying in Ice Camp Eqi and while I am in Kangerlussuaq, will be doing a full day hike on the ice cap but returning to my hotel at the end of the day (cos I can't rough it out and do without proper facilities!). So really depends on what you really want.

Edited: 3:06 am, June 02, 2013
3. Re: Ice Camp Eqi or Camp Ice Cap (Kangerlussuaq)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, May 15, 2015