We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel agencies in ilulissat and Kangerlussuaq

Which Ilulissat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
9 posts
Save Topic
travel agencies in ilulissat and Kangerlussuaq

we are a group of 9 person, planing to visit greenland this July, can anyone recommend some good travel agencies to us that arrange boat excursions to eqi, watching midnight sun and whales, then excursion to hike in Kangerlussauq to point 660.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: travel agencies in ilulissat and Kangerlussuaq

I'd take some things like cereal bars or chocolate bars if you can fit them in your luggage, stuff like that is horribly expensive in Greenland and you may be a long way from a shop if you get a bit peckish. The same goes for basic medicines, like aspirin, cough sweets, that sort of thing.

You also needs lots of DEET, as powerful as you can get. Though I've not been in Greenland in summer, I have been in the Arctic and the bugs are relentless. The only things that kept them off were DEET and my friend's roll up cigarettes, and it's probably not worth taking up smoking if you don't already to keep bugs away.

As for clothes, it's always layers. I've been too hot in the Arctic at -30C and too cold at 10C - you have to be able to take a layer off or put one on. Most important is the windproof layer, so make sure you'[ve got something like a Gore-Tex or Hyvent shell jacket (North Face, Berghaus, Rab, that sort of thing). Having said that, it can be suprisingly warm in the Arctic in summer - I went swimming in a lake at 10pm in the far north of Norway. OK, it wasn't a hot tub, but it was OK. Be prepared for anything from cold, windy and wet to warm, still and sunny.

Most importantly, enjoy it. It's an utterly amazing place, and it'll stick in your mind forever.

Hong Kong, China
9 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: travel agencies in ilulissat and Kangerlussuaq

thank you!

Did you buy anything in the supermarkets in greenland? such as eggs, beef, lettuce, organge,etc. Since we planed to cook foods there as we booked an apartment with kitchen! or do you suggest me to buy some caned food from Denmark and then bring to greenland?

Is there any food that forbiden to be carried into greenland?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: travel agencies in ilulissat and Kangerlussuaq

Everything is expensive in Greenland, but not actually that much more than Denmark, so I doubt it would be worth bringing much with you from Denmark. If you're arriving from Denmark, I can't imagine there's much that you'd not be allowed to bring in. There are rules on what you can take out though, for stuff like whale meat, seal skin and so on.

There are at least two supermarkets in Ilulissat, and one in Kangerlussuaq (opposite the airport building). There's also a takeaway pizza place in Kangerlussuaq, next to the supermarket. If you want a "cheap" meal out in Iluissat (cheap for Greenland) the cafe at the Cab Inn is pretty good.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: travel agencies in ilulissat and Kangerlussuaq

ilas as always has covered everything.

The larger supermarket in Ilulissat is called Pisifflik and has a wide range of tinned and packaged goods as well as a more restricted range of fresh food and veg. Everything is brought in by boat from Denmark so quality of fresh food may not be as good as you are used to. There is always the fish market as well.

Don't try and bring in too much in the way of packaged food - there is the weight limit for checked in luggage for a start. Also buying in Greenland will put much needed tourist money back into the economy.

Buy your insect repellant as soon as you arrive in Greenland - all the tourist information and tour booking shops sell it. It is a stronger strength than you will be able to buy at home. You may also be thankful of a head net (again easily bought locally). Worn over a sun hat to keep it off your face this keeps insects away from your head and is well worth the money. We didn't have too much trouble with biting insects but those that flew round your head and got into hair and ears were the worst.

Take plenty of sun screen too. The air is so clear that you can get badly sunburnt.

Layers is good advice and especially a windproof and waterproof outer layer. You will be glad of this on any boat trips as if thee is any breeze the wind chill factor will kick in.

In the shelter and sunshine you will find Greenland to be really warm. Cloudy or damp days with a wind, is quite a different story.

If you haven't already found this post you might find it useful:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g609123-i15604-k…

Edited: 6:43 am, January 25, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: travel agencies in ilulissat and Kangerlussuaq

Ilas65 and EESW provided a very comprehensive list of what you will need. May be I will add a pair of good sunglass as the UV in high Arctic is very strong. You will be very happy to see the clear blue sky as there is no smog or haze, totally different from Hong Kong. You will also find eye cover handy for sleeping as there is visible light all day and the window blinds don't help much. We don't have problem getting into sleep but our biological clock are mess up as most of our activities are done between 5pm to 3am. Weather underground is a good website on historic weather information to give you some idea what elements you will come across and the corresponding clothing gears to bring wunderground.com/history/…MonthlyHistory.html . Food in the Hong Kong Cafe is cheaper than many places in Ilulissat. Their fried rice with shrimp is ok but I think you need to lower your expectation.

Hong Kong, China
9 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: travel agencies in ilulissat and Kangerlussuaq

Thanks a lot!

Italy
Level Contributor
802 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: travel agencies in ilulissat and Kangerlussuaq

Hi Denise could you tell me wich kind of itinerary you want to do in Greenland? I thinking to go in june but I have some trouble with my itinerary (you can read it in other topic). So I need to change something or I'm going to change my destination thanks

Hong Kong, China
9 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: travel agencies in ilulissat and Kangerlussuaq

dear miki, my plan is fly form HK to Copenhagen, then the second day, take flight from copenhagen to illulissat via kangerlussauq, in illulisat, I will join the boat trip tour for watching mid-night sun and to eqi, and I plan to hike for 2 days by myself. then I will fly back to Kangerlussauq, and join another day tour to hike point 660. Finally I will fly back to Copenhagen!

and I've already book for all the hotels and day-tours! (confirmed already) since many people tell me that July is the high season, so I'm afraid that there will be no vacancy, so I just book for everything!

That's my plan, hope can help you

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: travel agencies in ilulissat and Kangerlussuaq

Hi, I am flying to Greenland in March 2013. I fly in from Copenhagen to Kangerlussuaq and will have to wait here for 4 hours before the flight takes me to Ilulissat.

Is there enough time for me to get out to do a little exploring in Kangerlussuaq?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: travel agencies in ilulissat and Kangerlussuaq

If your flight is on time arriving in Kangerlussuaq, it's enough time for a walk, at the least. Head out of the airport (you'll see the supermarket and pizza place in front of you) and turn right. Keep going in that direction and you can climb a little way up Mt Hassel and get a good view of the valley and the lake, or if you skirt the airport, you'll end up in the town centre (not that much of a centre, but it's all Kangerlussuaq has). From there, you could get a little way up Black Ridge. It could be pretty cold then though - as low as -35C - so how long you can spend outside is down to how much gear you have on you and in your hand luggage. If it is that cold, be careful - it can feel OK at first, but you lose heat rapidly.

You may even have enough time to go on the World of Greenland wildlife tour. It's only an hour and a half - a quick drive round really - but you'd need to check at the tourist office in the airport as soon as you arrived. Worth a try, anyway.