We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour companies in Lake Powell Area

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tour companies in Lake Powell Area

Hello,

My wife and I are headed out to the Lake Powell area at the end of August. We'll be staying at Amangiri for 4 nights, and would like to maybe do an excursion or two. I've heard the tours at the resort, while good are incredibly expensive. Could someone recommend a tour company that operates in the area that could perhaps do a short trip to Lake Powell, or Bryce Canyon?

Thank you!

Skeet23

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,074 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour companies in Lake Powell Area

Will you have a rental car?

Its pretty easy to drive to Page to see Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon or drive to the marina for a boat tour of the lake. You don't need a land-based tour company for that. Bryce is close to three hours, no tours needed. Easy to see by yourself with a car.

If you want to see something like Toroweap,(which is incredible) then definitely take a tour, because its so remote. There are operators out of Kanab (about an hour from your resort)that go there.

Here is one example

www.dreamlandtours.net

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour companies in Lake Powell Area

Hi Dez,

Thank you very much for the helpful reply.

Yes, I will have a car, and am happy to self-tour Bryce. Are you saying that once I get to Lake Powell there will be opportunities to take a tour from the marina?

Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon both look remarkable. I will make a note to visit those.

Toroweap loops amazing, and the tour company you recommended also looks like a great choice. I'll reach out for more info.

Finally, one probably very stupid question - I'm going at the end of August. Will the heat preclude any major (or even minor) hiking activity? Or due to the dry heat and elevation, is it reasonably comfortable as long as we're well hydrated?

Thank you again for all your help.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,074 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour companies in Lake Powell Area

You can do boat tours on Lake Powell to Rainbow Bridge or the shorter tours to Navajo and Antelope Canyons(the water end of the Antelope land based tour)

Or raft the smooth water below the dam,

www.lakepowell.com

www.raftthecanyon.com

Its still hot in August, so you want to do your warmer hikes in the morning.

Bryce is at 8-9000 feet, so the temps are nice in the day.

Just bring and drink lots of water.

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour companies in Lake Powell Area

It's hot in late August, but hiking (major or minor) is still enjoyable as long as you take a few smart precautions:

1. Hike early in the morning. It's still in the 70s or 80s until about mid morning, and that's plenty comfortable. By late morning, it climbs into the 90s and near 100...

2. Learn the terrain in advance. Some hikes are fine in midday, even in the heat of August. A hike in a shady canyon is pleasant, as is one that has you going in and out of water, such as the Narrows in Zion. Shade is key. Steep terrain (especially uphill) in the sun will wear you out quickly (such as Bright Angel Trail in the Grand Canyon).

3. Wear a hat and sunglasses, and use sunscreen. Makes a huge difference. Don't forget these. As a bonus trick, if you're hiking near a stream, get your head and hat wet from time to time--you'll feel a ton better...

4. Bring plenty of water. Should be obvious, but many people forget, or just bring a small plastic bottle. You'll need more than that--a Camelbak system is ideal. When half your water is gone, turn back so you have enough for the return trip.

5. Go slowly. It's not a race...listen to your body, stop often, find shade.

6. Wear the right clothing. Most people wear a t-shirt and shorts. That works fine, but even better is a very lightweight (and light-colored) long-sleeve t-shirt--better for keeping the sun off you, and if you can get it wet, it will cool you too... 100% Cotton is better than a cotton/poly blend, capilene or wool in hot dry areas...

5. Re: Tour companies in Lake Powell Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 07, 2014