We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering weather for fall 2013 trip - Sept or Oct??

Level Contributor
24 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Considering weather for fall 2013 trip - Sept or Oct??

We are in the beggining stages of planning a Lake Powell houseboat trip next fall. We are thinking about, either the last week of Sept or mid to late Oct. What are the differences between daytime, nighttime and water temps? I've read the average low in Oct is 40ish degrees. Is that accurate? And if yes, do the houseboat rentals have a heater? Cause that's pretty chilly.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,829 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering weather for fall 2013 trip - Sept or Oct??

Do you plan to ski or do much swimming?

Considering the choices you have given, I would go in late September for the warmer air and water temps.The houseboats have heaters and air conditioners.

Here is an average temp chart.

www.canyon-country.com/lakepowell/weather.htm

Edited: 1:29 pm, October 17, 2012
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering weather for fall 2013 trip - Sept or Oct??

I've gone on houseboat trips in the last week of September and first week of October, and here's my experience. The daytime weather can be highly variable, from sunny and warm (mid 80s) to cloudy and cool (low to mid 60s), while nights can be pretty brisk (mid 50s, ranging up and down a few degrees either way). It can also rain. But generally, the days are pleasant, and perfect for hiking and enjoying the early fall sunshine.

The water is in the low 70s in late September, dropping into the high 60s by early October. This year, the water temperature was 69 degrees on October 12...I'd say that's typical, maybe even a shade warmer than normal, but in the balllpark of what to expect. It's not 80 (like it can be in August), but it's not like a mountain lake either--perfectly okay to swim in, you just wouldn't want to be in there all day like you would mid-summer. More like the temperature of the ocean off the southern California coast in the summer.

Days are relatively short though, so be prepared to stay warm enough in the longer evenings and nights. You'll be weathering a sweatshirt or fleece jacket a lot at night, but t-shirts and shorts by day...

A great time to go--very minimal lake crowds, so many great opportunities for hiking, exploring, and camping with some solitude...

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering weather for fall 2013 trip - Sept or Oct??

It's better to go by mid-October if possible. By late October, air temps drop quite a bit, where daytime highs are more typically in the 60s, but can range from the 50s to 80s. Nighttime lows are typically in the low 40s, though can drop into the high 20s.

Surface water temperatures in late October are more like in the low 60s, a litytle chilly to swim for very long.

Edited: 3:10 pm, October 17, 2012
Level Contributor
24 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering weather for fall 2013 trip - Sept or Oct??

Thanks all! We now have houseboat reservations for the end of Sept 2013. 11 days, 6 (probably) on Powell and the rest traveling (to and from St Louis), then Cayonlands & probably Bryce. We can't wait!

5. Re: Considering weather for fall 2013 trip - Sept or Oct??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 31, 2013