We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 1/2 week trip of Grand Circle

Fond du Lac...
Level Contributor
20 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
2 1/2 week trip of Grand Circle

We are a family of 4 (kids 17&14) and are traveling from WI with our 5th wheel to do the Grand Circle + Mesa Verde. Here is an itinery draft...any help or suggestions would be helpful!

4-5 days in Moab to see Arches and Canyonlands (hiking, rafting?)

3 days in Glen Canyon or Grand Canyon???

4 days in Zion (Narrows and Angels landing)

1 night in Bryce

We want to see monument valley and 4 corners..as well as 1-2 nights in Mesa Verde. Any suggestion on the bet route? With teenagers...we are looking for things to keep them interested and us sane! We all love to hike and do adventurous things.....

Edited: 9:04 pm, October 04, 2012
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,433 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 1/2 week trip of Grand Circle

Hi from fellow Badger here in Utah now! Good plan on time at destinations. Given that you're probably a bit slower traveling with the fifth wheel, do plan on long days between most of the stops. Given your time, I think Grand Canyon would be a stretch. Keep this sequence and add Mesa Verde between Moab and Monument Valley. With a car you could do this all in a long day but might require another overnight for you somewhere. From MV head over to Page. Rest of the plan is very good.

Have fun.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 1/2 week trip of Grand Circle

When is your trip, and is your two and a half week trip including your travel days from Wisconsin? If so, it will be tough to include all your scheduled stops.I count at least 12 nights in your preliminary plans

Travelling I 70 you can start at Moab and end at Bryce or vice versa.

As T&C said, the sequence would be Moab-Mesa Verde-Four Corners-Monument Valley-GC-Zion-Bryce

You can substitute Page, AZ for The Grand Canyon. Also there is the option of visiting the North rim of GC if your trip is scheduled when it is open.

Three nights is too much at GC or Page, would be good to rob a night and add it elsewhere.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 1/2 week trip of Grand Circle

How long (and more importantly, tall)is that 5th wheel? You should look at the NPS site for Zion, as you will encounter a tunnel, which may or may not be an issue.

nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/the-zion-mount-ca…

Edited: 1:28 am, October 05, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,887 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 1/2 week trip of Grand Circle

And don't forget the great parks in the central part of the state. I worked up a little map just to give you an idea what your options might be.

http://goo.gl/maps/gkBcR

There are 8 destinations. Some you won't need more than a day (or less) and others you'll want 2-4. Plus you'll need the time to travel to and from WI and to each destination. How long did you have?

Fond du Lac...
Level Contributor
20 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 1/2 week trip of Grand Circle

Thank you eveyone so far!! we have 3 weeks total...

Penn Valley...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 1/2 week trip of Grand Circle

I'm watching this thread with interest as we too are in the process of planning a 2 1/2 to 3 week Grand Circle trip in a 5th wheel. Being retired, and not taking any kids (or grand-kids) gives us plenty of flexibility, but to be beat the crowds, heat and winter, we are thinking about late April to Mid May. We will be coming from NorCal and are thinking about Zion first, then NRGC right as the NR campground opens, then 'the circle' counter clockwise ending in Bryce.

Too many places to try to take in in one trip!!! And I am going to be putting in for The Wave lottery, and then schedule the trip (coming and going) to go near Kanab in case I don't 'win' the lottery and can then try for the day before walk-up lottery.

Steve

7. Re: 2 1/2 week trip of Grand Circle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, December 14, 2013