We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houseboat Itinerary for 6 Days out of Antelope Marina

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Houseboat Itinerary for 6 Days out of Antelope Marina

A group of 8 of us are planning a 6 day trip in late July out of Antelope on a 59' Deluxe XT. We'll have a ski boat and jetskis. We plan to leave the marina by 9:00-10:00 a.m. on the first day.

We've been to Lake Powell many times over the years, normally camping at Lone Rock. We've houseboated once before, going up to Rainbow Bridge area, so we don't necessarily need to see those canyons again. This time we'd like to get past the crowds and not have to rush to get a piece of beach each afternoon.

The group's combined vision is to have a spend 1-3 days on a couple different great beaches, where there would be good to great fishing, fun places to jet ski and wake board, and hopefully experience new parts of the lake and sights we haven't been to before (for the majority of the time, at least), We might need to stay closer on the last night, I assume. All this, while not battling the crowds for space, if possible.

What would be your recommended itinerary for a 6 day trip out of Antelope, which might include recommended coves, sights, day trips, marinas, etc. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Bridge
Rainbow Bridge
102 Reviews
Lake Powell, UT
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Houseboat Itinerary for 6 Days out of Antelope Marina

Since you're going for 6 days, I assume that means 5 nights, and as you know you can get pretty far in that amount of time. If your goal is to avoid crowds, for the most part that means getting beyond Rainbow Bridge, although in all honesty once you're past West Canyon (mile 27) the crowds thin a lot. The next big drop after that is, as I say, Rainbow Bridge (mile 50). Based on what you're telling me, I'd suggest something like the following:

On the first night, maybe get as far as somewhere like Rock Creek Bay (mile 35) or thereabouts, although anywhere from West Canyon onward (mile 27) would be a good first night goal. The trick is to get a spot sometime before about 2 PM, both because you'll want to grab a good one before others have the same idea, but also that gives you the afternoon to relax, hike, ski, fish, etc. The mouth of West Canyon is a great place to camp, fish and ski, so that's a logical place to go. And the hike up that canyon is phenomenal... But you can do just about as well as a campsite in the mouths of either Dungeon Canyon (mile 38) or Wetherill Canyon (mile 39). In Rock Creek (mile 35), you may have to go in a bit to find a good camp site. Also, keep your eye out for small coves off the main channel anywhere along this stretch--these can be ideal campsites that are almost always overlooked--use your ski boat to scout the shore, and get pretty close, because what appears to be nothing from midchannel can often be a little hidden gem of a beach up close...

On your second night, I'd opt for a site somewhere between the San Juan River and the Escalante River (mile 58-68), a stretch of lake that is full of coves and inlets. You could try for a site up Llewellyn Gulch (mile 63, on left), which is a beautiful canyon with some smaller beaches a couple miles in. You could also do well near the mouth of the San Juan (mile 58), in the shoals on the west side between miles 59-62, or in and around Cottonwood Canyon (mile 66). In any case, think of whatever spot you get as one you'll keep for 2 or 3 days and use as a base.

From this part of the lake, there is great skiing, fishing, and hiking potential in every direction. A hike up Hole in the Rock (mile 66) is a must-do, as is a trip up the Escalante River (mile 68). In the Escalante, you could explore any number of side canyons, notably Davis, Willow, and Fifty-Mile, and it's possible to hike out the end of any of these. You could also see the site of Cathedral in the Desert (Clear Creek Canyon), but you'll be disappointed to note that what a lot of people rave about is actually underwater...the water-filled canyon itself, while nice, is no better (actually not as good) as any of the others I listed above....although if it were drained of water, it would be spectacular...

Note that you could shoot for a campsite in the Escalante itself, but you'll be surprised to find they are few and far between. The ones that are there are nice, and usually in the side canyons, but it's a long way to go if you need to turn around and keep looking... Beyond the Escalante on the main channel, there are few campsites for several miles, more or less until you hit the Rincon at mile 77. You might consider that as a side trip in your ski boat, from which you have several hiking options: 1) to the top of the Rincon; 2) around the Rincon; or 3) on the other side of the lake, to the top of the Waterpocket Fold. The last is my favorite of these, if you get that far.

On your return toward Antelope, pick a site near West or Face Canyon, or even the same one you chose on the first night if you liked it a lot. Keep in mind it's about 3 hours from West Canyon to the marina, so plan accordingly.

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Bridge
Rainbow Bridge
102 Reviews
Lake Powell, UT
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
2. Re: Houseboat Itinerary for 6 Days out of Antelope Marina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, June 28, 2013