We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on doing a day trip on a kayak

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Advice on doing a day trip on a kayak

Heading to Utah in mid-June. My wife and I have always liked renting kayaks on the ocean and just paddling off and doing our own thing. We'll be car camping for 2 weeks and this will just be one of the stops (mostly mountain biking in Moab/Red Canyon, and hiking in Zion). We were just planning on taking a day (maybe 2) at Lake Powell to kayak for 4-5 hours. I normally don't dig tours much and more interested in kayaking for a day rather than paddling out to a place to camp. Realize Lake Powell is huge. I'll have a VW Jetta Wagon with a Yakima roof rack loaded with mtn bikes. I don't neccesarily need to kayak Powell, but would like to paddle in a slot canyon. Would love some advise on where to go, where to rent, and where to camp.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,872 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on doing a day trip on a kayak

Because Lake Powell is so large you may not be able to reach anything worth paddling to on your own in a day. I have heard about a company which will motor you to a good kayaking area, but I couldn't tell you now who they were.

If you put Kayaking in the search box for Lake Powell forum, you may be able to find past posts relating to what you want.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on doing a day trip on a kayak

I did find this trip on KayakPowell:

www.kayakpowell.com/index.php…

Anyone know if this was pretty good? Any chance during the trip to maybe check out a little slot canyon or interesting features?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,872 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on doing a day trip on a kayak

yackman.com/Yackman.com/YackMans_Trip_Report…

This was posted on the Page forum not too long ago. I don't know if it was just a fluke or not.

Edited: 11:08 am, April 22, 2010
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,511 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on doing a day trip on a kayak

That kayakpowell outfit seems to get a wide range of reviews.

If you find a place to rent a kayak,or bring your own,you can take it to Lees Ferry and use the backhaul service that the Colorado River Discovery rafts offer.They run from the dam to Lees Ferry,but need to get empty boats back upriver anyway,and will haul your stuff upriver and drop you off.Then you float back down.

www.raftthecanyon.com

Like Kbec said,the lake is huge,and you could paddle all day before you reach some canyons.Really need someone to motor you near some canyons and drop you off,then bring you back.

5. Re: Advice on doing a day trip on a kayak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:03 am, October 20, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Lake Powell