We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day houseboat from Bullfrog

Which Lake Powell hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
176 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
3 day houseboat from Bullfrog

Thanks for the wonderful guidance from reading other's posts! We have a houseboat for 2 nights from Bullfrog 6/10-12. Flying FL to SLC, then driving to Bullfrog with a stop at Goblin Valley and Wild Horse/Bell Canyons (unless someone suggests something else?) We will sleep on the boat that night, then head out in the AM to... - and that's the question. I purchased the map that was recommended, and downloaded some hiking info, but it's tough to decide. To add a speedboat seemed unreasonably expensive, so Rainbow Bridge is probably out. 2 adults, 3 kids (11,10,8) who like to hike, though not into danger. Coming from FL we won't be able to bring much with us (like the recommended deck chairs, etc.). I think I have a cooler borrowed and was told to stop at a store on the way in to stock up on food and ice. I guess I have a few specific questions:

- where are some good hikes that we can get to on the houseboat; preferably <3mi round-trip and leading to something - like a waterfall or ruins

- should we get a PWC? the kids might have fun, but with only 2.5 days would we have enough to see/do w/o the extra cost?

- I've read the other posts about sunscreen/tie-downs/long sleeves; is there other stuff someone from FL with limited packing space should consider? Do most people sleep on the boat? or on the beach? What's this about scorpions :-)?

- how tough is it to get the water taxis across the lake? We are headed to Moab from there and thought it might be neat to go via Natural Bridges. Should we try to squeeze in Antelope canyon? or is Wildhorse basically the same?

Thanks for the help!!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,852 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day houseboat from Bullfrog

You can stop at a Wal Mart or Target in SLC and get all you need for a trip. Sunscreen YES!! Hats, long sleeve shirts, flashlights, beach towels, disposable waterproof camera. I also would get bottled water in the 2 plus gallon size and powdered gatoraide or equivalent.

I'd stay on the boat. Just much more comfortable, and less worry.

Anything you buy, you can either give or sell to someone else, or ship it home via USPS or a mailboxes store.

Have a great time!!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,710 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day houseboat from Bullfrog

Looked for this to see what else you had asked. Even for a three day visit I think a PWC would be helpful. I understand the cost factor (and if you start adding up the gas it really gets bad.) I had some friends with a houseboat who last year never took it out of the marina. They just had fun with their boats in the bay there. You need something to go fast, otherwise you are just stuck on the houseboat playing canasta :-)

Do not leave Bullfrog without a good map (available in stores there).

Don't worry about the scorpions, they won't bother you.

Antelope canyon is the other direction from Bullfrog/Moab. Will you be coming back that direction? If not then I would not try to get to Page just for that.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
176 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day houseboat from Bullfrog

I figured we could either backtrack back from Bullfrog on our way to Moab, or we could take the ferry across (if it's running) and head to Natural Bridges. Thought Antelope might be on the way with the latter. Just not sure if that's an extra reason to go by the southerly route, or whether maybe we should instead go a bit west on our way out of Bullfrog and hit Capitol Reef on our way to Moab. Any advice? I guess if the ferry is stopped then we have our answer. If we're going back, and have already been to Goblin and Wild Horse/Bell, should we try something else on the way from Bullfrog to Moab? What woud you suggest?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,710 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day houseboat from Bullfrog

I wouldn't worry too much about the ferry not being in operation. Comments to the contrary it has become an essential part of life down there. However there is no backup, so if it needs repairs then it may be out of service while it gets them. (BTW summer schedule is from 8am-7pm with even hour departures from Halls Crossing and odd hour departures from Bullfrog).

Antelope Canyon is out of the way any way you try to look at it from Bullfrog (243 miles) and Moab (268 Miles). I don't know how much total time you have, but if you wanted to see it then you would have to rearrange your route. Assuming you will be starting and ending in SLC.

You could

- head to Page (Antelope Canyon) from SLC via Zions NP

- from Page to Halls crossing via Moki Dugway seeing Monument Valley/ Goosenecks, and Natural Bridges on the way.

- Take Ferry across to Bullfrog for your houseboat trip

- head north to Goblin Valley/ wild horse canyon on your way to Moab

- Moab to SLC

It is hard to know what you should see and what you should leave out because there are so many great things to see and do. But it sounds like your first instinct was -Houseboat trip on Powell and Moab (with stops along the way from each of those such as Wild Horse Canyon and Natural Bridges). Stick with that and don't try to do CapitOl Reef or Antelope Canyon; Unless you have lots of time.

5. Re: 3 day houseboat from Bullfrog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, September 02, 2009