We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you had to pick one: float trip or 1/2 day boat rental?

Cambridge, MA
12 posts
Save Topic
If you had to pick one: float trip or 1/2 day boat rental?

Hi,

We're doing a Zion-Bryce-Page trip next week (we're from Cambridge, MA!) and will be in Page to see Antelope Canyon, but will have an additional day (starting around 11 am) that we had planned on using to see Lake Powell. After scouring these forums, I think I've narrowed it down to either the Glen Canyon float trip (starts at 11 and goes till about 4:30 including the bus ride back) or renting a motorboat for half a day from Waheap.

Can anyone compare these two experiences for me? How are the different? Which one will have more spectacular scenery? Do you have time to get to and explore interesting side canyons on Lake Powell with just a half-day rental? (And if so, how do we figure out where they are and which ones to try to see?)

Thanks so much for any insights!!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If you had to pick one: float trip or 1/2 day boat rental?

My vote goes with the half day boat rental. You could go see Rainbow Bridge. It is the largest natural bridge in the world. There are signs once you get to it, but I wouldn't even think about getting on the lake without a map, of which there are several versions available at stores in Page.

You could also rent a water tube to pull along behind the boat for a quick and easy good time.

nyc
Level Contributor
546 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you had to pick one: float trip or 1/2 day boat rental?

I did a boat rental from Bullfrog last september and it was a blast. Filling out the paperwork and the orientation can be time consuming, make sure you add that to the schedule. If you're renting on the water there's another marina (I think antelope) that is further up lake and may not necessarily be a longer drive than Wahweap.

FYI- depending on how low the lake is, the map may be off. You may have to go a long way around to get up lake from Wahweap.

Cambridge, MA
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: If you had to pick one: float trip or 1/2 day boat rental?

Thanks so much - it looks like boating, it is!

Has anyone boated from Antelope Point Marina and have suggestions of nearby places to explore (ie, side canyons, or whatever), other than Rainbow Bridge?

Thanks again!

nyc
Level Contributor
546 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you had to pick one: float trip or 1/2 day boat rental?

I've only gotten as far south as Dangling Rope/Rainbow Bridge but I hear West Canyon is nice.

Rainbow Bridge is awesome. Actually, the entrance and the canyon it sits in impressed me even more. Nonetheless, I wish we spent more time exploring side canyons and swimming than making the trip down.

Order Stan Jones Lake Powell map online somewhere. canyon-country.com/maps/…stan_jones_map.html

It gives descriptions of each of the canyons. So read up.

Now that I think of it more, you won't be seeing Arches so Rainbow will give you a big taste (although it's not an arch!).

Pinellas Park...
Level Contributor
844 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you had to pick one: float trip or 1/2 day boat rental?

Just got back from Lake Powell and rented a boat for 6 hours and loved it. We were told we couldn't go to Rainbow Bridge for two reasons - 1) didn't have enough time and 2) the Dangling Rope Marina was closed so we wouldn't be able to make the round trip without being able to stop there for fuel. We did go to the dam, Antelope Canyon and Navajo Canyon and thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't wait to go back and spend more time on the lake!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,935 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you had to pick one: float trip or 1/2 day boat rental?

Low lake levels and off seasons do change a lot of things. Obviously planning for current conditions requires some flexibility.

California
Level Contributor
67 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you had to pick one: float trip or 1/2 day boat rental?

We are going to Lake Powell next week and have also been debating the float trip vs boat rental. Or both. I was thinking of doing the the float trip one day, the dam tour & Antelope Cyn tour the next and possibly a 3rd day renting a boat. How much does it cost to rent a boat for 6-8 hrs from Waheap?

Also, we are staying at the Best Western Arizona Inn. The hotel

reviews here say the views are good. Any opinions? The Lake

Powell Resort is alot more expensive.

8. Re: If you had to pick one: float trip or 1/2 day boat rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, August 29, 2009