We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Natchez or Oxford?

michigan
Level Contributor
226 posts
403 reviews
Save Topic
Natchez or Oxford?

We are doing a big north-to-south road trip from Michigan to San Antonio, TX. We are picking out nice towns for evening stopovers (say from 3pm to 8am the next morning), mostly by reading guide books.

One of us wants to stop in Oxford, the other wants to make the stop in Natchez!

We are in a stalemate...neither of us know anything about this area so I thought I'd ask the local experts on this forum.

We like quaint towns with good local food. History and architecture are big too. We won't have a ton of time to see lots of sights, but can probably do about one thing late in the afternoon.

Many thanks. Any advice or comments are welcome.

Jonesboro, Arkansas
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Natchez or Oxford?

I would say Oxford. Nice town, nice square. You could visit the campus and Rowan Oak (Faulkners Home). In the evening you can dine on the square and enjoy the town. Great restaurants and great bars if you like that. Natchez is a wonderful place and the architecture surpasses Oxford, but I think you would want a little more time in Natchez. Let me know if you have any questions about Oxford.

Natchez, MS
Level Contributor
9 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Natchez or Oxford?

I've got to thank jimmymack for the kind words about Natchez. I do like Oxford and its square, but I've got to put in a word for our town.

We've got lots of good restaurants; fine dining, barbeque, rustic catfish and seafood places and more. History and architecture go hand in hand here, with more antebellum homes than any other place in the U.S. If you can only do one thing, visit Longwood. An octagonal(!) brick home with an onion-shaped metal dome was being built by a brilliant scientific mind when the Civil War broke out. You tour the unfinished portion as well as the finished downstairs where the family actually lived.

The view of the Mississippi from the high bluff, having a drink or a meal at Natchez Under-The-Hill, taking a carriage ride of the city; it's all good.

By the way, you can see more about Natchez at www.natchezms.com.

Natchez, Miss.
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Natchez or Oxford?

Consider leaving Natchez and traveling the old road to San Antonio. Check it out on Wikipedia.org. I forget the actual historic name, but there is a historic sign 1 mile east of the Mississippi River bridge, and periodically the whole way to San Antonio.

If you come to Natchez, consider reading about Antebellum architecture. Just a walk around the town with a camera is well worth it, not to mention the bluff view of the river. Best meal in town is Monmouth Plantation for dinner. And check out the ratings on B&Bs, Historic Oak Hill is one of the best.

4. Re: Natchez or Oxford?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, October 04, 2009