We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking day trip at Muir Woods

Louisiana
Level Contributor
50 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking day trip at Muir Woods

I am visiting in mid-October and would like to do about 6 to 10 hours of hiking in Muir Woods on a Tuesday. I already have my America the Beautiful pass, so parking fees don't enter into my calculations :), but I am happy to avoid crazy parking situations whenever possible.

I am a moderate to strenous level hiker, but on the slow side. I'd prefer to keep elevation changes to about 1600 feet, if possible. I will have somewhere between 6 to 11 hours depending on factors outside my control for hiking.

I have the sheets from the NP service and am reviewing all trails and protrails, but I'd like to get advice from people here - what do you think is the best hike at Muir woods? I want to see redwoods and want to see the beauty of the park and the area.

1 reply
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,653 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking day trip at Muir Woods

The issue is not parking which is free. The issue is getting parking especially on weekends. Go early which I presume you do given you want to hike

Check the dipsea trail. Google it to get all the right info. Goes all the way to Stinson beach

Mentioned in this post
Stinson Beach
Stinson Beach
162 Reviews
Stinson Beach, CA
Reply to: Hiking day trip at Muir Woods
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted