We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panoramic Hwy or Shoreline Hwy

chicago
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Panoramic Hwy or Shoreline Hwy

We are spending the night at the Mill Valley Inn. In the morning we are headed to see Stinson Beach and then on to Point Reyes. It looks like there are two options for driving to Stinson - either the Panoramic Hwy or the Shoreline Hwy. Which route would be better? Normally, I would probably pick the highway running along the coast; however, since it's called Panoramic Hwy, maybe that is the better more scenic route.

Mentioned in this post
Mill Valley Inn
Mill Valley Inn
354 Reviews
Mill Valley, CA
Stinson Beach
Stinson Beach
162 Reviews
Stinson Beach, CA
Stinson Beach
Stinson Beach
Marin County, CA
7 replies to this topic
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,459 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panoramic Hwy or Shoreline Hwy

As I made my suggestion in your other thread. Take the Shoreline Highway (Highway 1).

Panoramic Highway is scenic only at the crest. You have views to both sides. But such a unobstructed stretch is quite short. You can drive up there, take a look, and then turn back and use Highway 1 to continue your journey.

chicago
Level Contributor
33 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panoramic Hwy or Shoreline Hwy

Great - thanks!

Ontario
Level Contributor
422 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Panoramic Hwy or Shoreline Hwy

The Panoramic Highway sends you through quite a bit of wooded area, so no panoramic vistas there. Still nice but no "view" for part of the way. Highway 1 is more open, rolling hills - more of a view but maybe a little more uniform in its scenery.

Arizona
Level Contributor
259 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panoramic Hwy or Shoreline Hwy

We will be touring Muir Woods in May. We will stay on Stinson Beach for the night. Also trying to decided between the 2, or perhaps just make one big loop, seems doable. Opinions?

Mentioned in this post
Stinson Beach
Stinson Beach
162 Reviews
Stinson Beach, CA
California
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Panoramic Hwy or Shoreline Hwy

There is a road closure in that area currently due to the wet weather we've been having. Probably won't be an issue in May but best to be aware.

Quebec, Quebec...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Panoramic Hwy or Shoreline Hwy

I have motorhome 25 feet. I leave from point bonita lightouse until pointe reyes. Is it too dangereuses to Take panoramic highway. I would like to see bobines on my road

Quebec, Quebec...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Panoramic Hwy or Shoreline Hwy

I wanted to say bolinas

Reply to: Panoramic Hwy or Shoreline Hwy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted