We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog Friendly Hiking?

Which Mill Valley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
valencia
Level Contributor
42 posts
16 reviews
Dog Friendly Hiking?

Does anyone know of any really great trails.We're heading up for Xmas and love to hike with the critters. I heard of the Tourist loop on the back side of Muir Woods, but do they allow dogs?

Thanks ahead!

5 replies to this topic
Rocklin, California
Level Contributor
647 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Dog Friendly Hiking?

Google for books on hiking w/dogs - there's at least one that covers the foothills and parts of No. Cal, but not sure about Muir Woods or others in that area. I do know they exist, though, as my sister has hiked w/her Newfs in that area..

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Dog Friendly Hiking?

Yes, lots of great hiking with dogs! China Camp used to be a great place. They are officially closed now, so there won't be restrooms. Marin headlands is beautiful. Marin is very dog friendly. I suspect Muir woods will not be dog friendly. Any State Park will not allow dogs on non-paved trails or beaches. We like to take our dog to some of the dog parks too. It's a different experience for him being a "mountain dog."

dogfriendly.com/server/travel/uscities/guide…

visitmarin.org/visitors_and_residents/pet_gu…

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Dog Friendly Hiking?

Check North Bay section here: http://www.bahiker.com/doghikes.html

Federal, state and Marin Municipal Water District trails (which is Marin Headlands and Mt. Tam): if dogs are allowed it is on leash only. Off leash is generally permitted on fire roads only.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Dog Friendly Hiking?

Yes, good point about the on/off leash. We usually keep our pup on leash when traveling. The fire roads in the area are quite beautiful. They were probably logging roads at one time.

Mill Valley/Marin...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
5. Re: Dog Friendly Hiking?

I just stumbled upon a long section on parks and dogs in Marin County at the site marincountyparks.org.

Reply to: Dog Friendly Hiking?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted