We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Tamalpais - Day trip suggestions?

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
431 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Mount Tamalpais - Day trip suggestions?

Hi, we are planning a day trip to Mount Tamalpais State Park. Interested in scenery and any short walks/hikes (2-3 miles) to see wildflowers.

Please let us know if you have any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Mount Tamalpais State Park
Mount Tamalpais State...
382 Reviews
Mill Valley, CA
5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Tamalpais - Day trip suggestions?

I've been up on Mt. Tam a lot lately and haven't seen a lot of wildflowers. And it's been pretty cold since I was last out.

Around Phoenix Lake is about 3 miles and mostly flat. Also Tennessee Valley is a nice 3-4 miles out and back. Most of what I hike is 4-7 miles and with elevation change (they don't call it MT. Tam for nothing!).

You can check Bay Area Hiker for ideas: https://bahiker.com/

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,654 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Tamalpais - Day trip suggestions?

It is going to rain this coming week. That should help in about 10 days or so as far as flowers go

Level Contributor
2,693 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Tamalpais - Day trip suggestions?

Well, the OP asked on Feb. 7. Not sure if they've been yet or not. I think I landed on the little used Marin County forum.

Mentioned in this post
Marin County
Marin County
California
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
431 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Tamalpais - Day trip suggestions?

Yes, we did go in February and not many flowers then. We do plan to go back again later this month or early April. Hopefully the rain would help the flowers!

Level Contributor
2,693 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Tamalpais - Day trip suggestions?

As belomiser said, with the rain due this week, flowers should be out. Cataract Fails is usually known for wildflowers.

One of the most beautiful places I ended up recently was along Coyote Ridge Trail. We got there from Green Gulch but it's accessible from Tennessee Valley too. It is a huff-and-a-puff up the hill. But well worth the 360 degree views!

Edited: 9:08 pm, March 11, 2018
Reply to: Mount Tamalpais - Day trip suggestions?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted