We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best lodging within 30 min of Muir woods

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
383 posts
395 reviews
Save Topic
Best lodging within 30 min of Muir woods

Would love to hear suggestions for the best hotels/B&B's, etc that are near Muir woods. We are looking for a 2 night getaway in the area. Good restaurants and shops nearby would be important to us. Thanks for any ideas!

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,855 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best lodging within 30 min of Muir woods

Mountain Home Inn! It's a bucket list for us too as a weekend get away. You can walk to Muir Woods from the trail across the road.

I have not stayed here but have been to a wedding and eaten here.

http://www.mtnhomeinn.com

Mentioned in this post
Mountain Home Inn
Mountain Home Inn
158 Reviews
Mill Valley, CA
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,855 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best lodging within 30 min of Muir woods

Oh if you want more restaurants then stay down the hill. But the onset restaurant is good and you are 10-15 mins from everything down the hill.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,477 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best lodging within 30 min of Muir woods

Pelican Inn? A ye-olde-English inn near Muir Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Muir Beach
Muir Beach
202 Reviews
Muir Beach, CA
Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,851 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best lodging within 30 min of Muir woods

Sounds like you may be looking for in-town lodging and in that case the Mill Valley Inn www.marinhotels.com/mill-valley-inn/home is a nice convenient place to stay. It's a small boutique-style hotel and restaurants, cafes, shops are a very short walk. Driving to Muir Woods entrance is about 4 mi. If you're hikers you could even go by way of the Dipsea Trail--about an hour's hike each way.

Mentioned in this post
Mill Valley Inn
Mill Valley Inn
354 Reviews
Mill Valley, CA
Dipsea Trail
Dipsea Trail
48 Reviews
Mill Valley, CA
Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,851 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best lodging within 30 min of Muir woods

I should have said in the above post "if you're seasoned hikers" since the Dipsea has serious elevation gain and hundreds of steps at the beginning--it's a very serious cardio workout!

California
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best lodging within 30 min of Muir woods

I second the Mill Valley Inn.

Mountain Home Inn's reviews pretty consistently indicate that the walls are paper thin and the rooms good use some TLC. Reports of iffy service too which is my impression when stopping by for a drink.

Mentioned in this post
Mill Valley Inn
Mill Valley Inn
354 Reviews
Mill Valley, CA
Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
3,680 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best lodging within 30 min of Muir woods

Third vote for Mill Valley Inn. I've stayed there several times and loved it. Great location next to shops and restaurants, easy access to Muir Woods and many other scenic places.

Mentioned in this post
Mill Valley Inn
Mill Valley Inn
354 Reviews
Mill Valley, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,654 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best lodging within 30 min of Muir woods

Mill Valley is a great place to stay as is Sausalito but just to clarify -- Muir Woods for most is an hour or two hour's visit unless one wants to do strenuous hikes as Forrest... has said . It it great to stay in Marin county as Scott mentioned and see other parts of the county as well but when one mentions hotels near Muir woods, I want to make sure you are not just doing Muir Woods.

Edited: 12:18 pm, March 20, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Mill Valley
Mill Valley
Marin County, CA
Sausalito
Sausalito
Marin County, CA
Marin County
Marin County
California
9. Re: Best lodging within 30 min of Muir woods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, May 13, 2018