We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner recommendations needed please

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
93 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner recommendations needed please

Hi, staying a couple days in Mt Rushmore area and looking for restaurant recommendations for dinner please. Thanks in advance.

Custer, South Dakota
Level Contributor
30 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner recommendations needed please

Try the Dark Horse in Custer, which is behind and up the stairs from the Cattleman's Steak House. As a local from the Custer area, this eatery is my family's favorite. The next best is the Buglin' Bull on main street. Both sites offer great food at a decent price. The Dark Horse is a little more laid back ... kinda like Cheers from the 80s and 90s. The Buglin' Bull is a little more upscale and perhaps a little more congested on busy nights.

Hope this helps ...

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,900 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner recommendations needed please

We have liked these places:

Big Time Pizza, Keystone...great for an informal meal. Honestly, it's my favorite pizza anywhere, but this is very subjective. lol! When we came out last year, we had driven for 6 hours from Denver, and it was our 1st SD stop, even before hotel check in. We literally ordered the pizza, checked into our hotel in Keystone, and then went back for the pizza. Cheeseburger is my favorite!

State Game Lodge, Custer State Park (enjoyed the lunch buffet). Bison stew is yummy.

Blue Bell Lodge, Custer State Park (great service and food). Excellent bison.. :)

Alpine Inn, Hill City (German fare at lunch, filet mignon only for dinner. Fabulous desserts! They don't take credit cards and are closed on Sundays.) It gets crowded, so either plan to head there before 5 (opening time). Some people sit in the bar and wait for it to open. Another option would be to arrive later, say around 8 or so.

Powder House Lodge, Keystone (had a great breakfast there and although I have not tried dinner yet, the menu was extensive). Service very good.

Cheyenne Crossing (Base of Spearfish Canyon). You would need to have an "early" dinner some nights, for they close early some days. Great Indian tacos and carrot cake. Reasonable prices

Eagle Scout, we will have to check out your recommendations on a return trip. I always like to hear from a local as to what's good!

3. Re: Dinner recommendations needed please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, April 28, 2015