We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keystone or Rapid City?

Which Keystone hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
26 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
Keystone or Rapid City?

My wife and I are from the U K and planning a trip, mainly to see Mount Rushmore, but of course, whilst in the area plan to see Crazy Horse and Little Big Horn, the thing is we were planning to stay in Rapid City to do the things near M R then relocate to Sheridan for L B H. We are open to any suggestions as to places to stay and other things that are a must see whilst in the area.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keystone or Rapid City?

I would recommend staying in Keystone, Hill City or Custer instead of Rapid City. These 3 towns, particularly Keystone and Hill City, are much more centrally located to the sights on the area. Keystone is a bit more touristy than Hill City and is more geared toward families. I personally like the Roosevelt Inn in Keystone, as it has a wide variety of room choices and an excellent pizzeria right on site.

How much time do you have in each area? This is my short list of must sees:

Badlands National Park

Mt. Rushmore

Crazy Horse

Custer State Park

Wind Cave

Jewel Cave

Devil's Tower

Also, be sure to order the travel planner for South Dakota at travelsd.com. It will provide a great overview of attractions in the area.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

england
Level Contributor
26 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keystone or Rapid City?

We are looking at staying maybe 3 days in that area then relocating to Sheridan or maybe Billings to see Little Big Horn for 2 days and would appreciate any input regarding those. We did consider also going to Yellowstone but think we could be pushing it a bit as we want to stay off at Washington going out and Denver on way back, any thoughts?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,111 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keystone or Rapid City?

Where are you flying in and out of? Rapid City, Billings, Denver??

I think you will only need one day at the Battle of Little Big Horn. We did that as part of our trip to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone in 2008. I am a huge history buff but we only needed about half a day to see the park. There is little else in that area to see.

Denver is nice and so is the Rocky Mts. NP but imo the best national park in the country is Yellowstone. If you have the time it will only be about 2 hours from Billings to the park and it is full of scenery and wildlife.

We've visited Denver multiple times- do not plan to go back anytime soon. BUT we have visited Yellowstone 3 times in the past 5 years and cannot wait to go back again this summer. To me Yellowstone has an appeal like no other place in the US. But that is just my opinion.

Good luck with your trip planning!!

england
Level Contributor
26 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keystone or Rapid City?

The intention is to fly into Washington for maybe 3 nights then fly to Denver, pick up the car and have a night in the Fort Laramie area, then off to Mount Rushmore area for three nights, we had intended on staying 3 nights in Sheridan area before going back to Denver for a few nights before flying home. If the Little Big horn can be done in a few hours it may be an idea to only stay 1 night and drive to Yellowstone for a couple of nights. Because we live in the U K and we really want to see Mount Rushmore, the idea is to see as much as we can as we may never pass that way again, so, all the help we can get, the must do places and other stuff would be a huge help to make a fabulous holiday. We really do appreciate any input and all ideas would be looked at. Thank you very much

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Keystone or Rapid City?

I think 1 night in Sheridan would be fine. I have not been to Little Big Horn (no interest), but I have a friend who went and only spent a 1/2 day as well. I also agree with Peach that I would not stay any more than 1 night in Denver when you could have more nights in Yellowstone. Yellowstone is truly one of the most amazing places in the USA. (my opinion too Peach!).

Four nights in Yellowstone would be ideal if you could manage it. From Sheridan, you could be at the east gate in approx. 4 hours. You'd then have about an 11 hour drive back to Denver eventually (This would be from West Yellowstone, MT). That would be a downer for me, but Yellowstone is amazing.

Another idea would be to head for Estes Park and Rocky Mt. National Park (about 6 hours from Sheridan) and then back to Denver.

When you say Washington, do you mean DC or Washington state? Washington state is vast and can be quite tiring if you don't allot enough time for things. I don't want you to go home needing a vacation from vacation.

england
Level Contributor
26 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Keystone or Rapid City?

Many thanks for your input, we have had a few pointers to Yellowstone so we feel that whilst we are so close we must see what all the ravings about. We are going to Washington DC as this is were we have to fly through from the UK and thought it may warrant a couple of days, unless you know better

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,111 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Keystone or Rapid City?

Yes for sure a few days in DC then you must head west!!!!

england
Level Contributor
26 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Keystone or Rapid City?

My sincere thanks to Sirtravelplanner and Peachbelle for their suggestions when I asked for advice about our trip to the South Dakota/ Wyoming area, thanks to you the holiday we have just returned from wouldn't have been the huge success it was. We would have missed so much and we are grateful you give sound advice to strangers to make their trips so complete. Thank you and please keep on with your pearls of wisdom for people like us who need all your help, THANK YOU THANK YOU

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,547 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Keystone or Rapid City?

Glad you had a successful holiday. I share your opinion on the advice they give.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Keystone or Rapid City?

Ericlowe, thanks so much for the "shout out" you have given us. It's so great for us to hear feedback from travelers like yourself; it gives us the incentive to keep on advising. :)

If you have time, we'd love to hear more about your trip and the places you visited. Thanks again for expressing your appreciaton.