We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pitchfork Steak???

Minnesota
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pitchfork Steak???

Can anyone recommend a good "cowboy style" pitchfork dinner and show somewhere close to Custer State Park/Mt. Rushmore? My hubby and I are taking our kids (ages 8 &10) this June and would like to take them to a rustic, outdoor dinner. Any recommendations appreciated....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pitchfork Steak???

The Black Hills has several Chuckwagon dinners but I believe the Blue Bell's Lodge's dinner, in Custer State Park, is the only one that takes place outside. If I am mistaken, I hope someone else will chime in. We have attended two dinners and prefered Blue Bell's. Their dinner is pricer than most of the others but we felt the meal was better and the price included a hayride and souvenir cowboy hats with bandanas. The bbque takes place in a beautiful gulch which you are taken to by covered wagon, rain or shine. Unfortunately, the hayride is truck drawn, not horsedrawn, but was still alot of fun. The scenery was very pretty and we saw alot of wildlife on our way to the gulch. Each wagon has one of the entertainers aboard who sings and gets the participants involved. Your kids are a good age for this activity. Our kids were teenagers and thought everything was kind of hokey, which it is, but good old time, clean fun. In the end they admitted they had a nice time. The food and cowboy entertainment were both very good. I would definitely recommend this dinner. You will need to make advanced reservations a day or two before.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,767 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pitchfork Steak???

I, too, agree with Mt. Mama. I have never done a chuckwagon dinner, but I can tell you that Blue Bell Lodge is a 1st class operation and is a wonderful place to eat. It boasts excellent food and service. I believe Mama is right about the locale of the dinner; I also think it's the only outdoor one. Really, the setting of the lodge can't be beat, and wildlife is abundant in the park as was mentioned.

The other 2 chuckwagon dinners you frequently hear about in the area are Circle B and Flying T, both in Rapid City. Both of these are inside, and of course, you will have the dinner and country western music. Older kids probably would find it hokey as Mt Mama said (I know my almost 13 year old would have a lot to say about it..LOL!), but I think your kids are the perfect ages to enjoy it.

Have a wonderful trip, and please feel free to ask us additional questions.

3. Re: Pitchfork Steak???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 21, 2012