We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Rushmore to Yellowstone Mammoth Hot springs

Planet Earth
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Drive from Rushmore to Yellowstone Mammoth Hot springs

Drive from Rushmore to Yellowstone Mammoth Hot springs. What route to take ? Sole purpose is to reach faster. Should one take I-90 all the the way via billings or should go via Cody ?

Thanks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,511 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Rushmore to Yellowstone Mammoth Hot springs

This will be a long day of driving. We did that trip from Mt. Rushmore with a stop at Devils Tower and an overnight stop in Billings back in June 2008. We then entered the park at Gardiner. I-90 is a good road and you can make good time. We did have a really bad thunderstorm and had to slow down to about 50 mph because of visibility.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Rushmore to Yellowstone Mammoth Hot springs

563 Miles via I-90. 8-1/2 hours not counting stops (if desired) at Devils Tower or Little Bighorn Battlefields. Chief advantage to route is faster travel on freeway (not at mercy of slower traffic) and no mountain passes. Bighorn Mts. routes (US-14 or US-16) are fairly slow. Also reaching Mammoth from east entrance involves some fairly slow roads in the park. Sheridan, WY would be about the half way point. The two lane part from Livingston to Gardiner is fairly fast but from Gardiner to Mammoth is much slower for the last few miles.

3. Re: Drive from Rushmore to Yellowstone Mammoth Hot springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:56 am, December 19, 2010