We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terrified

united kingdom
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Terrified

Hi

We are coming to Ovacik in a few weeks for a week following a week elsewhere. We have rented a villa which we have been doing for years now with no problems. I WAS really looking forward to it until last night when I read about all the break ins.

I was aware that the area, like many others has a number of break ins, but not to the volume that appear to be happening here.

We have always used normal precautions such as locking doors and windows when out of the villa, leaving lights on etc.

I went to bed last night really worried, wondering if we had made a terrible mistake and if we should cut our losses and not go.

How relaxing could a holiday be if you are constantly worrying about being broken into.

On the other hand people seems to come back to this area again and again and love it?

I don't know what to do. I don't know if I am over reacting of if the threat of burglary is as almost likely as it seems.

We need a relaxing holiday and am now unsure if Ovacik is the destination for us.

Please help - any reassurance greatly received.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Terrified

If you're as worried as you claim to be then nothing anyone says on here is going to make it better.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Terrified

Have you contacted the owner to see what security they have in their villa. It might be better than you are expecting, and if no security, then it will give you more of an idea what to do, go ahead, or book into a hotel.

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
19,913 posts
155 reviews
3. Re: Terrified

Find out if there is a burglar alarm and a safe plus outside lighting in the villa you are renting.

London, United...
Level Contributor
597 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Terrified

It might be worth asking the Orka Hotel if you could rent a safe there - it cost us £20 a week as we were staying in an apartment that was originally one of theirs. They had lots of safes that were unused so it is worth asking. Then your passports and holiday money etc is safe. There have been several reports of burglaries on TA but that is still a tiny, tiny percentage of the number of villas in Ovacik and Hisaronu. I do hope you can relax and have a brilliant holiday.

I

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: Terrified

Check out the security of the villa with the owner , don't bring lots of cash - use cards instead ( make sure you have the 24 hour phone no for 'lost cards') keep a copy of your passports separately to the originals , bring no sentimental jewellery , make siure you are adequately insured , bring a couple of the alarmed door wedges and then knowing you have taken all necessary steps to protect your valuables just as you do at home when in your own house stop worrying and get on with the holiday.

Edited: 12:20 pm, September 21, 2013
Kent
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Terrified

Its easy for me to say but Ireally would not worry, I was out there when there when the three burglaries occured in one night, all the premises were unoccupied at the time so it was not as though people were asleep upstairs.Wether you stay at home or go on holiday you stand as much chance as being the victim of a burglary no matter where you are.We were ther for a week and these break ins happened on our first night ,I would not allow myself to be a in fear ofa crime and ruin my holiday. We ended up having a great time going out in the evening and for two whole days on trips, nothing happened to us or to the other hundreds of villas in the area. I would without question say go don't worry, but be careful just adopt all the crime prevention methods you use in this country out there.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
114 reviews
7. Re: Terrified

Last Minute Tripper. If it had happened to you, as it did to me, then I think you would have a different stance. I was terrified, knowing they had broken in, gone through all my personnel effects, & stolen some of my stuff.

I really did not want to stay in the apartment, knowing that some of the robbers were coming back for a second visit. Which in some cases they did.

If there was as many break in in my part of the city as there was in Hisaranou that night, then I am sure it would be classed as a Crime `Hot Spot`

8. Re: Terrified

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Ovacik
Recent Conversations