We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzies in July?

Irvine, Scotland
Level Contributor
102 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Mozzies in July?

Anyone know what the mozzie situation is in July. Hate the little blighters and have ruined one too many holidays. Someone advised that I should start taking anti histamine two weeks before travel and that Avon skin so soft is good. Any other thoughts/tips???

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mozzies in July?

Hi Lesley

I also hate them, but over the years, either their teeth have weakened or my skin has got thicker, as they are less bother each year.

Both your ideas are good, the Avon works for us (make sure it has citronella in it - that seems to be the magic ingredient)

The anti histamines work well for me, and still use them if I do get a bite as it reduces the effect on me, trouble is what works for one person does not always help another, just a case of trial and error.

One gizzmo we have tried and had good results with is one of those ultrasonic buzzers, clip it to a belt buckle or handbag.

Another thing to watch out for are flies, just look like normal household type in UK, they can have a nasty bite, so keep clear of greenery and stagnant water.

But good news time, the local council do a great job of spraying to keep the blighters down, and I reckon that is the biggest reason I am having less problems with them.

YORK
Level Contributor
203 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mozzies in July?

Lesley

Although I have not been to Turkey before I have had many holidays ruined too, have even had to go to hospitals for injections. However, since I have been using jungle formula, the pump spray, have had no bites whatsoever. Also take zirtex (antihistamine) with me, if you do get a bite takes off the itchiness and inflamation immediately.

We go 13th to 20th July so if you after travelling beyond that date I could be the guinea pig!

Irvine, Scotland
Level Contributor
102 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mozzies in July?

We too are going on 13th July - where you off too? We are at the St Nicholas Lodge Hotel.

YORK
Level Contributor
203 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mozzies in July?

We're staying at the Club Orka Hotel for a week

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mozzies in July?

Yes there are Mozzies around in the evening - depends where you are in Ovacik / Hisaronu

anything with Citronella (lemon) in it works, also use the plug in repelants, the anti histamines work very well to reduce the effects (but don't stop the bites)

best advice we've ever got is make sure your windows are closed at night (unless there is a mozzie net over them) keep the Air Con on and buy some little bed side fans (about £4 from B+Q) apparently this does something to your breathe stream that the mozzies follow while you're asleep - we laughted at first but not one bite in a family of 4 last year

Lesley - we're in the Leytur from the 13th July

Jon & Jac

Mentioned in this post
Hisaronu
Hisaronu
Oludeniz, Turkey
6. Re: Mozzies in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:34 am, October 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Ovacik
Recent Conversations