We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers Icmeler trip report May 2013

Which Icmeler hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
849 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
First timers Icmeler trip report May 2013

Returned only yesterday from Icmeler so as first timers thought I would offer some help and advice that I thought might be useful for other first timers to Icmeler.

We stayed on a B&B basis at the Devamli hotel (see seperate review) and ate at different restaurants most evenings (we loved Coco Beach, again another review sorry!!)

Marmaris is easy to get to from Icmeler, a dolmus costs just 2.5 tl and takes around 20 mins or so. Just hold out a hand from the street and the Dolmus will stop. Those going into Marmaris are white with an orange stripe. We wre told by the Thomson travel advisor (they aren't called reps anymore!) that the Dolmus drivers wouldn't accept sterling or Euros but met people who had used both and had no problems.

Water taxi back from Marmaris is 10 tl and worth doing for the lovely scenery alone.

The beach at Icmeler is mostly a very short walk from most of the hotels and is clean with some sun beds being free. For those staying in the larger AI hotels they ALL have free sun beds mostly just outside of them.

The canal is lovely and worth a stroll. Again LOADS of restaurants nearby with food to suit all tastes. Lots of entertainment also from Karaoke bars to shows with Elvis,George Michael and Michael Jacks (yep, NOT a spelling error)Some small shops selling lovely turkish pottery etc.

Be a bit prepared as many restaurants are fairly close together with LOTS of people desperate for trade (maybe not so much in the summer months) We quite enjoyed the 'hello lovely couple' stuff every night followed by the come and eat here, we have the BEST food in Icmeler.

The Turkish people are very warm hearted and you will get very little hassle a simple no thank you is enough. Most just want to talk and are truly interested in where you are from (many thought I was German or from Iceland, I have blonde hair !!)

We also walked to the old town ( probably a 30 min walk from the Devamli)worth the walk as its fairly quiet and nice. We met a local guy on his way home gave me a rose from his garden and then tried to sell us a massage, he worked from the Kontesse (? spelling) hotel in Icmeler and was truly lovely,he had a massage qualification so maybe if you pass or are staying there please pay him a visit.We sat and had a coffee with him last Sunday, he just likes to chat, with absolutely NO pressure at all.

Pammukale is definately worth a trip but a VERY long day (we were picked up at 6 a.m and dropped off around 7:30 p.m) Many many places offer this trip (lots of trip sellers on the sea front) we were just concerned about how many had insurance, but their trips are around £10-£15 quid cheaper than Thomson, I guess the choice is personal.

On that note, Dalyan Check out day from Thomson is worth it, a whole day on your day of departure to Dalyan (lunch and dinner included) a trip along the green river in dalyan and a visit to the Mud Bath (we laughed for most of the day over the pics taken) all for £46 which also includes a room in the Paradise Hotel (more like a motel really) until time of departure. Our flight was 04:30 a.m so we managed a few hours sleep as well.

Turunc market on Monday is O.K. but worth a visit for the water taxi ride which is STUNNING (15ytl return or 10 ytl single) get a water taxi over and a return on the Dolmus which takes you over the mountains truly breathtaking for more reasons than one !!

I guess to end just enjoy Icmeler,one of my new favourite places, i just fell in love with it. I sit here with my glass of wine having a REAL bad attack of Icmeleritis, I so miss the place and would go back in a heartbeat, just too many other places to see. I'm off to check the Cape Verde forum, we visit in November.

We are a couple in our mid 50's if that helps at all. Please feel free to P.M. with any questions which I'll GLADLY answer if I can

Nottingham...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: First timers Icmeler trip report May 2013

Thanks jennie!! I suppose that would do ;) hehe xx

Stoke
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: First timers Icmeler trip report May 2013

Hi, just a query around which currency is best to take. I am thinking of taking turkish lira with me and stirling to change in the supermarkets. However I have been told to take all stirling as the shops will take stirling from you to pay for your shopping? Someone else has also told me its best to take euros as everything is priced in euros? Also I can get 2.85 rate at the moment in England - is the rater better over there?

Getting totally confused now!! any help much appreciated.

23. Re: First timers Icmeler trip report May 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler