We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying tobacco

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Buying tobacco

I've been asked by a friend if I can bring them back some Amber Leaf, can anyone advise if I'd be better buying @Manchester or Dalaman?

Also an idea of prices would be most helpful, thanks!

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying tobacco

We brought some at dalaman airport last year and it was on special offer

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying tobacco

Thanks for quick reply!

Last time I think I bought it on way out, then found it was cheaper in Dalaman as it was on offer so think I'll wait & see this time.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
7,742 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying tobacco

Dalaman definitely as the stuff you buy in the UK is supposedly for duty free EXPORT only and should not be returned to the UK

Edited: 6:33 am, September 17, 2017
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying tobacco

Interesting! I hadn't realised that 🙄

2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying tobacco

How much is it at Dalaman ?

Southampton, United...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying tobacco

£50 for 10 pouches of 50 grams amber leaf

cumbria
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying tobacco

Cheers

London, England...
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying tobacco

Just a bit of advice here.

Every year I always buy a bit more then my allowance as I have never been stopped on return in all the years I have been holidaying. Last night at Dalaman I thought I would try my luck. As usual the people in Unifree told me my allowance was up to 9(!) cartons of smokes when in fact I knew it was 200 smokes.

Yesterday I was searched on return to Gatwick and had everything confiscated and issued with a warning. My own fault for trying to bring more then I should have. For me it was only 800 cigarettes, and I wasn't allowed to keep my allowance because I didn't declare it.

They informed me if I was stopped and searched again I would be prosecuted and could face an unlimited fine and up to 7 years in jail.

My advice from now on is to never go over your custom limits. I only lost £100 worth of fags, but my sister was even more cheeky and was well over her allowance and also had everything confiscated.

But for anyone wondering how much Mayfair is - £32 at Dalaman for 200 or £71 for 600, I'd go for the 200 haha.

Just not worth the risk!

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying tobacco

@Anthony, that will now be on your passport, so expect to get stopped again.

10. Re: Buying tobacco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 22, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Icmeler
Recent Conversations