We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet Access

Neath, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Internet Access

We will be staying in a villa at Mazarron Country Club during August 2012, the villa does not have internet access but is there a cheap way to get a dongle for the duration of our trip?

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet Access

Hi,

I've never seen anywhere offering short-term rental of PAYG dongles when in Spain. However, that might be a matter of me not looking for/noticing them.

Assuming that there's no 'free' wi-fi hotspot at MCC or you don't want to lug your laptop/netbook/tablet around everytime you go out to a bar or restaurant offering 'free' wi-fi and short of borrowing someone's unlocked dongle and popping a local SIM card in when you get there, I'd suggest the following (apologies in advance if you know all this already):

* look on ebay for an unlocked dongle compatible with your laptop/netbook/tablet's O/S, i.e., Windows, Android, MacOS or whatever. There are shed loads for sale there at reasonable prices. The unlocked dongle is then yours to keep and use wherever and whenever.

* get a local PAYG Spanish SIM card either before you leave the UK (again, plenty for sale on ebay) or the cheaper option: pick up one on your arrival in Spain. Like the UK, plenty of 'phone shops around. Newsagents will also sell them. Do your research in the UK beforehand though so you know the costs of the various providers data tariffs and know which one you want.

* you can pop the local SIM into the unlocked dongle or if your mobile's unlocked and capable of high speed data connection, then use the Spanish SIM in your mobile either tethered to your laptop/netbook/tablet or use your unlocked, high-speed enabled mobile with the local SIM card as your very own wi-fi hotspot.

* whether you purchase the Spanish SIM here in the UK beforehand or in Spain, you'll have to provide your name, passport number and address while in Spain to the provider...well that was the case up to the last time I was there.

Whatever you do, don't use your UK SIM and you'll save a small fortune in 'roaming' data charges.

Last time in Spain I used a Hits Mobile network SIM in my mobile. Reception levels were excellent around the Mar Menor. Data speeds were good even on my 'ancient' Nokia which is only capable of 3.6Mbps. Can't say what reception levels would be like in Mazarron. I believe that Hits use the Spanish Vodafone network. In any case, whichever network you choose will have a map of network coverage on their website.

Hope some of this has been of some help.

ATB.

DD

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet Access

It is something like 20 euros for a pre-paid dongle with vodafone in Spain, this is probably one of the cheapest options. You just have to find a vodafone shop...and yes there is one, just googled it. The 20 euros includes some usage, probably about a Gb and than as it is pre-paid you just have to top it up. I suppose the cost will depend on what do you want to use it for...

3. Re: Internet Access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, September 07, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Mazarron
More Mazarron Topics