We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Station in Frederick?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
79 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Train Station in Frederick?

My friends and I are staying in Gettysburg but would like to visit Frederick once again and Washington DC.

We know how to get to Frederick since we have been there before, but we are also interested in seeing DC. I was told there is a metro train in the area?

Shady Grove metro? Is that the right train or is there another to take to DC? I was wondering if anyone can give me some info. on this train as far as parking and tickets going to DC.

I was told not to drive to DC because the traffic is a nightmare. We would be visiting DC during the week not the weekend and we plan on leaving early in the morning so that we will have more time to explore the DC area. Can someone please help me on this?

Thanks so much! : )

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,530 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Station in Frederick?

Shady Grove metro station wouldn't be considered "in the area" really. I can't underestimate how ugly the traffic can be on weekdays between Frederick and Shady Grove.

Gettysburg to Shady Grove would be well over an hour without traffic, and even at 6:30 in the morning there will be traffic, and lots of it. And waiting much beyond that time will mean the parking lots at Shady Grove will be full.

There is also "MARC" train service to Washington from Frederick, this is not the same as Metro, which is the DC area subway/bus system. There are only a couple trains in the morning and evening as this is a commuter train. I've never taken it from Frederick but here is the schedule, looks like the trip is just over 90 minutes each way.

I'm not trying to be "doom and gloom", but a day trip from Gettysburg to Washington is not that easy via public transportation. I think if you're determined to do it it would be less of a "nightmare" to just drive in, waiting until after morning rush and staying in Washington until after evening rush. If you don't deal with rush hour, a trip by car should be under 2 hours.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,181 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Station in Frederick?

It's not like there are 200000 union soldiers blocking your way. Yes traffic is bad and yes, if you can miss rush hour then do so. But, people commute every day and do get to their jobs on time which means that traffic must move somehow.

So, driving is not impossible. Or you can get to the outermost subway station, Shady Grove and travel that way.

Here is a suggestion, you can finish your evening in Frederick and then stay in the Shady Grove area so that the morning commute is not an issue for you.

http://www.wmata.com/

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,530 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Station in Frederick?

"But, people commute every day and do get to their jobs on time which means that traffic must move somehow."

Indeed, they do get to their jobs. Often by rising at 4:30 in the morning to start their commute by 5:30, then getting back home at 6:30 at night.

Bad enough to do it for a living - I can't imagine doing it on a vacation. :)

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,181 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Station in Frederick?

Please, some perspective. No one who leaves

Frederick at 8 arrives in DC at noon. And, our visitor only has to go to Shady Grove and not all the way in to town. FL is from LI so I am guessing that she is not too scared of a little traffic.

If we all worried about traffic, we would stay home, which would probably be ok for all the folks who live in Ocean City, Cape May, NYC, etc except for the fact that they can't make a living without the tourists.

Pick your poison.

Maryland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,530 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Station in Frederick?

"Please, some perspective. No one who leaves

Frederick at 8 arrives in DC at noon. And, our visitor only has to go to Shady Grove and not all the way in to town. "

Which is fine except the OP is not staying in Frederick, they are staying in Gettysburg. They posted this same issue on the Washington DC forum yesterday and made it clear they weren't interested in staying anywhere but Gettysburg. Gettysburg to Shady Grove Metro will easily take 80-90 90 minutes during the early part of the day. And if they arrive at Shady Grove Metro station much past 7:00 a.m. they run a real risk of finding the metro parking lot full.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
79 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Station in Frederick?

I thank everyone for your input and your help! It is much appreciated! Im starting to have second thoughts about going to DC LOL! Perhaps a trip to Baltimore would be easier since we have never been there before. I heard there is alot to do there. We are huge Civil War buffs and would like to visit South Mountain as well. We have already been to Antietam and Harpers Ferry which we enjoyed immensely! We would also like to see Fort McHenry. Im assuming the commute to Baltimore will be less aggrivating? I did here the parking is very expensive there and its extremely crowded. Either way its got to be a better commute.

And yes I was on the forum for Washington DC.

Im trying to get as much help as possible. : )

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Station in Frederick?

I have known people who have gone in to DC for the day via Frederick. It takes planning and patience. Check out the MARC schedule...it's the Brunswick line. (I've always thought that the trip in from Harpers Ferry would be neat.) Departures start before 6 am.

Baltimore is an easy trip. My advice is to delay your start from Gettysburg until after 8:30. This way, you'll miss most of the morning traffic. We take PA 97 S to 140 to 795 to the Beltway. I've never had trouble parking in the area of the Aquarium, and it's not that terribly expensive. Try taking the water taxi to Fort McHenry! On your return, leave by 2 or wait until the later evening.

Some other spots to think about include Hagerstown, the Monocacy Battlefield, the C & O Canal Park (several locations), and Annapolis.

Good luck!

8. Re: Train Station in Frederick?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:34 am, January 10, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Frederick