We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

Which Barstow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pascagoula
4 posts
Save Topic
Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

Hi I have to go to Barstow to pick up a vehicle I purchased at a government auction. After reading several post on another site, and a few on this site I am now scared to death. Most of the post I have read make Barstow sound like I will just be asking to get mugged or killed if i go there. Barstow sounds like a nightmare. Can a white Mississippi boy make it Barstow for a day or two and live to tell about it? Thanks in advance for any replies.

40 replies to this topic
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,810 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

Barstow is a wide spot on the road from LA to Vegas. There's nothing wrong with going to Barstow to pick up a car. How are you getting there?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,912 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

Being a white Mississippi boy is probably helpful in Barstow (they do speak English there).

Barstow is fine. It has its seedy parts, and it didn't used to, so people sort of notice it. The part near the outlet malls is far nicer than what used to be genial downtown Barstow where, frankly, I wouldn't want to wander around anymore at midnight (I'm female if that makes a difference).

Stay near the outlet mall or in some other place recommended here on TA. Do your business dealings in broad daylight and use your city smarts, even though it looks like a podunk place.

I've been back to Barstow many times since our last downtown visit, we just don't go "downtown" anymore (near the intersection of the two interstates). I've lived in other towns where the interstate crossroads area was not the best to be in the evening.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,001 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

You have nothing to worry about.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

I am more afraid to go to Mississippi than to Barstow. Barstow is the sort of place you barely notice on the road to Las Vegas.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,028 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

Barstow is not Detroit. It is not Chicago, Camden, or even Oakland. I don't think you'll find it any more intimidating than, say, Baton Rouge.

But I hafta say, the vehicle must be an awfully good buy if you bought it at an auction, presumably sight unseen, and are coming all the way to Barstow to get it.

A number of military supply and logistics bases are in and near Barstow. I'm presuming the vehicle is at one of those. So be sure where you are going so you don't get lost. Barstow may just be a "wide spot in the road" culturally speaking, but it is a large physical area.

Are you going to make a vacation of it and spend any time in California before heading home? You won’t be far from Los Angeles and the Pacific Ocean. Barstow is in the middle of our magnificent Mojave Desert. It’s a Route 66 town and you could take segments of Route 66 on the way home if you’re not in a big rush.

If I had to stay overnight, I would pick one of the places along Main Street, which is Old Route 66. You’ll find Best Western, Quality Inn, Econolodge, Motel 6, Ramada Inn, and other national chains. If you decide to just pick up the car and start home, the next place with much of a selection of lodgings is Needles CA, a smaller town about 150 miles east. Kingman AZ is another 50 miles and has far more choices.

Pascagoula
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

Rental car from the nearest airport.

Pascagoula
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

Lol ....Mississippi can be pretty rough during hurricane season that is for sure.

Pascagoula
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

No I am not making a vacation of it...Wish I could I would love to see the Pacific ocean.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
584 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

>>> Rental car from the nearest airport <<<

Ontario? 77 miles

Palm Springs? 112 miles

Los Angeles? 131 miles (You can see the Pacific Ocean if you fly in here — LAX is next to the ocean).

Las Vegas? 152 miles

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,028 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?

Barstow is a major railroad and highway hub, and it's surrounded by half a dozen military facilities. But it does not have a big commercial airport. I think the closest major one is Ontario Int'l, a little over an hour away. Las Vegas is a bit over 2 hours.

We hope Pascagoula is OK after the hurricane.

Reply to: Scared to go to Barstow? Should I be?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted