We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon help in Barstow

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon help in Barstow

We are stying one night in Barstow during our honeymoon in May (from UK)

What is the best hotel in or near the city and where should we have dinner?!

Thanks!

Normanton UK
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon help in Barstow

Congratulations!

Brstow is a loooong town spreading both sides of the main road, with most hotels at one end or the other.

I have stayed in 3 hotels, all similar in quality.

Last year it was the Holiday Inn Express in west Main St- good but near the railway, my wife was not impressed. There is a brand new HI Ex on the SW side - this has rooms and suites.

Other locations - Ramada (we will stay there this year) on East Main st.

Most eateries are concentrated arounf E main St and include all the regular outlets, none I have found stand out, but eating in the old railway coaches is an experience.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,939 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon help in Barstow

Since Barstow is not usually a vacation destination, but instead a place to rest when you are tired of driving, it has the usual road side motels lke Holiday Inn. I think you should just get into town and see which one strikes your fancy. You are not arriving during a crowded tourist season so I don't think you need a res. way in advance.

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon help in Barstow

No offense to any Barstowians, but why the heck are you spending a night in Barstow?!! you could very well be the first people in the world to spend their honeymoon there by choice.

Barstow is what LA people call the rest stop between Vegas and LA. Most people just stay in Barstow long enough to eat and gas up. If I were you, i'd screw Barstow and go to Vegas or LA. And just a heads up, the outlet mall there is nothing like it use to be 10 years ago. Its not even worth stopping by anymore.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,189 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon help in Barstow

Perhaps you could tell us your itinerary and we could suggest another stopping point... I agree with the previous poster about Barstow.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon help in Barstow

Thanks for the tips. Our tentative itinerary is six nights in Vegas, then drive out to literally spend the night in Barstow to break the journey. Then to a place called Lemoncove near Sequoia National Park for 2 nights, then to Big Sur for 2 nights. From there down to either Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo for 2 nights (can't decide which) and then onto LA for 3 nights at the end.

How does this sound? We wanted an obvious change of pace after the lights of vegas and thought the national parks and coastline would provide that?

Saint Germain...
Level Contributor
2,513 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon help in Barstow

You might try to travel further than Barstow on your break night, perhaps even Bakersfield. This allows you to get to Lemon Cove earlier and if you are staying at the plantation, you will appreciate the extra time for relaxing, hottubbing and general pampering.

Have a great trip!

orange county
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon help in Barstow

agree. Barstow is only about 2.5-3 hours away from vegas so you'll still have plenty of energy once you get there. You wont feel tired enough to want to spend the night there. Trust us, once you see barstow you'll thank all of us!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon help in Barstow

Thanks for all your help. We were planning on spending the day in Vegas and leaving late, but you know what its like on the last day somewhere - always clock watching til you leave, so it may be better to get out of Vegas earlier and drive to Bakersfield. Whats Bakersfield like? Are there any decent hotels or are they mainly Holiday inn express, Courtyard etc? After all, this is our one and only honeymoon!

Thanks again for the help.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,189 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon help in Barstow

According to Mapquest, Lemon Cove is approximately a 6 hour drive from Las Vegas, so if you want, you could easily make this drive in one day. Bakersfield makes a lot more sense than Barstow, but neither is "worth a stay".

Also according to Mapquest (which you should be using to plan your trip), you will be passing right by Monterey/Carmel on your way to Big Sur. It would be a shame not to stop there overnight-- an interesting and lovely destination, one of the major travel destinations in California. Perhaps you could juggle your itinerary, eliminate the Barstow-Bakersfield night, and add a night in Monterey. Then you can drive the gorgeous coast between Monterey and Big Sur earlier in the day, when you are fresh.

For your stop on the drive south from Big Sur, Santa Barbara would be the natural stop for 2 days. Just a beautiful city. SLO and Paso Robles are nice towns, but not comparable to Santa Barbara in beauty or things to do.

What is in Lemon Cove, by the way?

I haven't been to Vegas... but 6 nights sounds like a lot there. You could fit in Grand Canyon or San Francisco. Sorry if I am being a busybody, but you might want to request more general itinerary help just posting on the "california" forum.

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,189 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon help in Barstow

Forgot to mention, Paso Robles is well inland (an attractive farm town, popular with retirees) and SLO is near the coast, but not a beach town. I think Santa Barbara rivals any town on the French Riviera for beauty and charm.