We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Begur right for my family

south shields
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Begur right for my family

Hi this is the first time i've ever posted anything on a forum ever so here goes.

My father in law has kindly offer to pay for a family holiday next july and is thinking about the south of france but my husband and I think Spain would be a much better option. I found Begur on ownersdirect web site and like the look of the place. My father in law is interested in wildlife,history and is very socialable. My mother in law just wants to chill out next to a pool with a good book. My husband and I would like good food and alittle bit of a nightlife with easy access to visit places such as Barcelonia. Is Begur right for us? And how do I persuade my father in law/

Girona, Spain
Level Contributor
748 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Begur right for my family

Hi,

I think Begur would be perfect for you all. Begur has history, great nightlife in the summer, restaurants and bars and the coastline has a wealth of seabirds for wildlife lovers. About 45mins drive away is Aguiamols, a wildlife santuary.

The nearest railway station of Flaca (30mins away)allows you easy access to Barcelona in 1.5 hours.

I hope this helps.

Denise

Bristol
Level Contributor
397 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Begur right for my family

hi,

I agree with Denise, the Begur area is lovely. Some nice coves and beaches along the coast and some picturesque medieval villages close by inland. However, you will need a car to make the most of the area, and to get to the station for BCN for example.

Girona airport is convenient form the UK and Begur is about 45 mins drive.

Hope this helps....

Tim

Ireland
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Begur right for my family

Hi Betty, I am currently in begur with my family stayingin a villa with a pool and would highly reccomend the town and the area.

We drove up from Barcelona, and today visited Cadaques and Figueres. Girona itself is also a good day trip.

Kilkenny, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Begur right for my family

Hello,

We are completely biased because we discovered this area a number of years ago, love to walk, cycle, and of course the beach. We have teenagers who obviously like to do what teenagers do and they love it here. There are a number of local medieval villages, a roman city complete with greco-roman harbour just along the coast. Barcelona is not far either by bus directly from Begur or by car or train.

Catalans are very interested and knowledgeable wbout both food and wine so it is hard to get a bad meal and prices are relatively inexpensive. The countryside here is beautiful, the weather excellent all summer, June and September are fantastic hot 24/6 degrees most days and sunny. Great for golf, walking, cycling etc.,

There are lots of bars, restaurants etc., in Begur from tapas bars to 'gourmet' food. Our nephew has converted his 20/30 something friends who have now come back for their third holiday. They have discovered nightlife we didn't even know existed!

France on the other hand we find unfriendly, expensive and built up along the coast. No comparison if you are discerning.

We have a villa here that is in Begur which is looked after by David and Phil Fleming (Costa Brava Connections)they have their own website and believe also advertise on ownersdirect for us. If you need any more help don't hesitate to come back to me. As I said we have been going toBegur for years and know the area really well.

south shields
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Begur right for my family

Thank you for your replies. They have been very helpful.

I checked out villas on Costa brava connections web site Ray. I think I've found your property, it looks lovely! How much would the rent be for a week end of July, early August next year?

Many thanks,

Elisabeth

6. Re: Is Begur right for my family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, March 30, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Begur