We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best Mesa Verde "houses" to see numbering one to ten

Palatka
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
best Mesa Verde "houses" to see numbering one to ten

We will be at Mesa Verde for two days in June 2014. What are the best houses to see numbering them from "one to ten"?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,312 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best Mesa Verde "houses" to see numbering one to ten

Balcony House would rank right up there, but you would need to decide whether you were physically/mentally able to negotiate the ladders and physical requirements. I'm not able any longer, so my top two would be Cliff Palace and Spruce Tree House.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best Mesa Verde "houses" to see numbering one to ten

With two full days you will be able to see almost every place in the park. Spruce Tree House is my favorite of all and then Long House on Wethrill Mesa. Also must visit is Farview Ruin area.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best Mesa Verde "houses" to see numbering one to ten

Do you have 2 full days to tour Mesa Verde?

If so, you can easily tour Chapin Mesa on one day and Wehrerill Mesa on the second.

With a full day for each you may have time to get a tour of both Cliff Palace and Balconey House. Cliff Palace is the largest ruin and is the one you see in most pictures of Mesa Verde. Spruce Tree House is the best preserved and is a self tour with some areas rebuilt so that you can see what it actually looked like. As descibed by others, Balconey House is a little more challanging but not out of the realm for most people. Even if you go to all 3, you will still have ample time in one day to drive the Chapin Loop and stop at all the viewing points and points of interest. Also be sure to take in the Chapin Mesa Arcaeological Museum. It is intersting and informative (and if it's hot, provides a break from the heat).

On Wetherill Mesa, Long House is the only tour you need tickets for. Step House is a self tour. Over on Wetherill, you have to take a tram around the loop. But again with a full day you will have ample time to see it all and stop along the viewpoints either on your way to or back from the tram stop on Wetherill Mesa.

Be sure to take plenty of water along. It is dry and can be hot. I see you are from Florida. It is not humid like in Florida. It is dry and you need to stay hydrated and drink alot and drink contantly throughout the day. Don't wait until you are thirsty. There are places you can refill water bottles one is at the Chapin Museum. Mesa Verde is also at 7000 feet altitude. Keeping hydrated will also help prevent altitude sickness.

Enjoy your time. It is quite a place.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
451 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best Mesa Verde "houses" to see numbering one to ten

As others have stated, with two full days, you should be able to take them all in. My favorite: Balcony House. I love the smaller number of people on the tour, the adventure of touring it and the breathtaking views of the canyon. With that said, each has something to offer. Without a doubt, you'll have a great time!

5. Re: best Mesa Verde "houses" to see numbering one to ten

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, September 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Mesa Verde National...