We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which month?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
149 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Which month?

I would like to go from Grand Junction to Moab to Mesa Verde next April or May. How is the weather then? Is that route okey or is it less scary on the million dollar hwy to go the other way. Meaning north to south or south to north. Are the tours going on in Mesa Verde in April? Thanks for any input.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,848 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which month?

I would wait until May. April will still be a bit snowy.

Check www.nps.gov/meve for more information

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which month?

I went this year the end of April... since you have a choice, I too would wait for May. I was snowed on both nights... and it was very windy. However, it could still happen in May...

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,114 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which month?

I'm not sure what your question is about the Million Dollar Highway. If you go around by Moab, then to Mesa Verde, you wouldn't be going to the Million Dollar Hwy. But were you planning to make a loop and go around by Moab one way and back to Grand Junction from Durango through Ouray and Montrose? (or vice versa)

Many people prefer the south to north trip because you are on the inside next to the mountain for the section just south of Ouray through (above?) the Uncompahgre Gorge. If the weather's bad or you decide you don't want to go that way, you could go through Dolores and Telluride, then to Ridgway and Montrose. Stop at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park if you have a couple of hours...Late April or May is usually a great time to visit there.

You can find information about what's available during the different times of year at Mesa Verde on the park website under "operating hours and seasons". I'd recommend at least late April and May would be better. It's hard to tell about the weather...a couple of years ago we visited in mid April and the weather was gorgeous. This year, not so good, as kavery says.

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which month?

what is it like the first week in June? Best places to see.Thanks

Edited: 1:59 pm, May 26, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,848 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which month?

Joni, what are you asking? What is Mesa Verde like in early June? Just fine and all the park is open. Visit www.nps.gov/meve for ideas on what there is to see and do. If you have questions about other parts of Colorado, you may want to post a new posting!

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which month?

We went the first week of June and it was perfect. Everything was open, park was not crowded yet, it warm but not too hot, and flowers were in bloom Thanks everyone for the tips!

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which month?

June can be quite hot... and still windy lol. I'd stick with May.

8. Re: Which month?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:42 am, June 21, 2013