We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balcony House and Cliff Palace

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
346 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Balcony House and Cliff Palace

Which of these is the hardest to tour? I don't know if I would get too scared on a high ladder. I'd like to see them but don't want to get part way up and cause a scene. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,870 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balcony House and Cliff Palace

The ladders at Cliff Palace are inside a crack in the cliff and are very secure feeling. I have taken many visitors of all ages up those ladders with no problems. The ladder at Balcony House is more open and I find it a bit more scary.

Photos at

carsonstravels.us/coloradophotosmesaverde.htm

mesaverdecountry.com/tourism/press/pr_images…

Mentioned in this post
Cliff Palace
Cliff Palace
1,128 Reviews
Mesa Verde National Park, CO
Balcony House
Balcony House
711 Reviews
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
845 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balcony House and Cliff Palace

Two totally different types of access. Cliff Palace no real problems, Balcony House big exposed ladder followed by having to crawl through a small opening. Ibcredible places to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Cliff Palace
Cliff Palace
1,128 Reviews
Balcony House
Balcony House
711 Reviews
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
346 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balcony House and Cliff Palace

Casa Azul & And Pancho: Thanks for your replies. I think I'll have to stick with Cliff Palace. I'd like to see them both but don't know if I could handle getting up to Balcony House. I think going up the ladder would be easier for me than having to get back on it to get back down. By the way, Casa Azul, those were great photos.

Mentioned in this post
Cliff Palace
Cliff Palace
1,128 Reviews
Balcony House
Balcony House
711 Reviews
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
845 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balcony House and Cliff Palace

FerndaleGirl,

After going into Balcony House you continue climbing up to get out. The main ladder was going up into the place.

Mentioned in this post
Balcony House
Balcony House
711 Reviews
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,954 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Balcony House and Cliff Palace

I was also going to say you don't have to go down the ladders, so that makes it more do-able, IMO.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60900-d2602…

Minnesota
Level Contributor
451 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Balcony House and Cliff Palace

My son has a fear of heights and did both Balcony House and Cliff Palace tours -- we were a little concerned after hearing the Ranger describe the Balcony House tour, but the ladders are anchored securely and have wide rungs, although they are steep and tall (just don't look down!). More ladders and climbing involved in the Balcony House tour. They are both unique and if you can do both, they are worthwhile. We did the Cliff Palace Twilight Tour, a smaller group as the sun set with a ranger or foundation volunteer in period costume -- very special way to enjoy the ruins.

Mentioned in this post
Balcony House
Balcony House
711 Reviews
Cliff Palace
Cliff Palace
1,128 Reviews
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Balcony House and Cliff Palace

Cliff Palace has a few ladders, but they're all very short and easy. The worst one seemed to be about 12 feet or so at the end, but it was in between rock, so it's a lot less scary than say, putting a ladder up on the side of your house and climbing up it. Most of the ladders are in the 4-6 foot range though, if I recall correctly.

The Balcony House ladder is about 30 feet, but isn't too bad as long as you don't look down. I'd still get the Balcony House tickets if I was you. The worst case scenario is you don't do the ladder and just kick back and relax for 20-30 minutes at the bottom with a nice view of the valley below until the next ranger comes and unlocks the door to the staircase leading to the beginning. You're not committing to anything just by doing the tour.

Cliff Palace has the better ruins of the two IMO, but Balcony House is worth the old college try, as there's a really spectacular ruin near the end of the tour that shouldn't be missed if you think you'd have a decent chance at that ladder. If you do decide to give Balcony House a try, just go up the ladder without thinking too much. The longer you hang out down below, the tougher it starts to look. Once you get on it and start moving, it's not too bad though.

Mentioned in this post
Cliff Palace
Cliff Palace
1,128 Reviews
Balcony House
Balcony House
711 Reviews
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Balcony House and Cliff Palace

D'oh... I didn't see this topic was more than a month and a half old.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
346 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Balcony House and Cliff Palace

Thanks for all your help. We aren't going until the end of August - just planning ahead. I'll give them both a try and report back here.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,954 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Balcony House and Cliff Palace

That's okay Spursfan! It's always good to get such detailed input for future searches and questions, plus many times people are planning several months ahead, as FerndaleGirl says.

Have fun, FerndaleGirl! Mesa Verde is amazing. Hope you have time for the Anasazi Heritage Center, too.

Get answers to your questions about Mesa Verde National...